Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (“Bloomsbury”) announces today that it has acquired certain assets of Zed Books Limited, the London-based academic and non-fiction publisher. The consideration was £1.75 million, of which £0.875 million was satisfied in cash on completion and the remainder to be paid within 12 months.
Zed will operate within Bloomsbury’s Academic & Professional division and is expected to contribute approximately £0.8 million of revenue to Bloomsbury in its first year. The Acquisition is expected to break even in its first year, before reorganisation and acquisition costs, then be earnings enhancing thereafter, with improved profit following the integration of the business into Bloomsbury.
The acquired Zed titles are a good strategic fit with Bloomsbury’s existing publishing lists, whilst strengthening its offerings in African Studies and Development Studies. With the combined lists of Zed and I.B. Tauris, Bloomsbury is now a leader in academic Area Studies publishing. The Acquisition also enhances Bloomsbury’s Politics and International Relations list.
Jonathan Glasspool, Managing Director of Bloomsbury’s Academic & Professional Division said, “We are delighted to become the new guardian of the prestigious and progressive Zed list. The Zed programme aligns very well with our existing publishing within I.B. Tauris, and complements Bloomsbury Academic’s publishing across a wide range of humanities and social science subjects. Over 40 years, Zed has built up a unique presence in African and Development Studies, an area we wish to grow. We greatly look forward to working with Zed’s wonderful range of authors and partners.”
- Bloomsbury Publishing acquires IBT Tauris for £5.8M Posted on May 1, 2018
- Bloomsbury acquires six LexisNexis and Jordan family family law titles Posted on December 22, 2015
- Bloomsbury Publishing acquires Osprey Publishing Posted on December 22, 2014
- Bloomsbury acquires Hart Publishing September 2, 2013
- Bloomsbury Publishing – unaudited Preliminary Results for the year ended 28 February 2013 Posted on May 22, 2013
- Bloomsbury Publishing announces results for the six months ended 31 August 2012 Posted on October 25, 2012
- Bloomsbury acquires Applied Visual Arts Publishing Posted on July 3, 2012
- Bloomsbury Publishing acquires Fairchild Books Posted on April 16, 2012
You must be logged in to post a comment.