Euromoney Institutional Investor is to acquire RISI, the price reporting agency for the global forest products market, for $125 million in cash.
Founded in 1985, RISI has been part of AXIO Group, an Epiris Managers’ business, since 2013. RISI is headquartered in USA, Bedford, Massachusetts, and employs 150 people across the United States, China, Belgium, Finland and Brazil.
Its product suite consists of pricing data, mill intelligence and analytics as well as news, research and conferences covering the pulp, packaging, wood products, wood fibre and saw logs markets. Its price indices are critical to the daily business operations and trading activities of major paper and board, packaging and other forest-product companies.
RISI’s products are embedded in the workflows of its customers who use RISI’s information to price physical transactions and inform their strategic decisions. Many of RISI’s 2200 price series are used as the main settlement mechanism in industry contracts.
In calendar year 2016 RISI’s unaudited revenues were $29.6 million and its unaudited EBITDA was $7.7 million. RISI’s revenues are derived predominantly from selling subscription products and have high revenue renewal rates. RISI’s unaudited gross assets at December 31, 2016 were $29.8 million.
On completion, Euromoney will pay $125 million in cash for RISI, funded from its existing revolving credit facility. Completion is subject to Hart-Scott-Rodino approval in the United States, which is expected to take approximately four weeks. The acquisition is expected to be earnings-enhancing for Euromoney in its current financial year.
RISI will be managed as part of a new Price Reporting Division, alongside Metal Bulletin Group (Metal Bulletin, American Metal Market and Industrial Minerals), and will report into Raju Daswani, CEO of Metal Bulletin Group and head of the new Price Reporting Division.
Andrew Rashbass, CEO of Euromoney, said: “The acquisition of RISI is another important step in Euromoney’s strategy of building a portfolio of leading price reporting agencies in growing international markets. RISI is a very high-quality business which Euromoney is perfectly placed to grow further. We look forward to working with RISI management and employees around the world to offer the company’s customers products of the highest value.”
In its recent strategy update, Euromoney highlighted price discovery as a key investment theme. The acquisition of RISI follows the acquisition in August last year of FastMarkets, a provider of real-time metals market pricing information.
UK, London & USA, Bedford, MA
- Pageant Media acquires Hedge Fund Intelligence from Euromoney Posted on January 3, 2017
- Pageant Media acquires asset management business information brands from Euromoney Posted on December 1, 2016
- Euromoney acquires FastMarkets for £13M Posted on August 15, 2016
- Euromoney sells Gulf Publishing Company and the Petroleum Economist Posted on April 1, 2016
- Euromoney acquires 10% of Zanbato Posted on September 29, 2015
- Euromoney Institutional Investor completes Dealogic transaction December 18, 2014
- Euromoney to acquire a strategic shareholding in Dealogic: Sells Capital DATA and Capital NET posted on November 5, 2014
- Euromoney acquires Investing in African Mining Indaba for £45.3M July 16, 2014
- Euromoney Institutional Investor acquires Infrastructure Journal for £12.5M October 15, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor completes acquisition of HSBC’s Quantitative Techniques operation Posted on October 2, 2013
- Euromoney revenues for the fourth quarter increase by 9% Posted on September 24, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor – interim management statement to July 24, 2013 Posted on July 26, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor – 6 months results to March 2013 Posted on May 16, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor acquires a majority stake in the Centre for Investor Education in Australia Posted on April 19, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor to acquire HSBC’s Quantitative Techniques operation Posted on April 4, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor acquires Insider Publishing Posted on March 19, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC interim management statement for 4 months to January 30, 2013 February 4, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC acquires Californian conference business TTI/Vanguard January 7, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor Plc announces annual results Posted on November 15, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC – pre-close trading update Posted on September 25, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC – Interim Management Statement for the period from April 1 to July 24, 2012. Posted on July 26, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor – trading update – half year profits of not less than £47M Posted on April 17, 2012
- A Fusion Deal: International grain trading conferences, Global Grain Geneva and Global Grain Asia, sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor Posted on February 29, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor to acquire Ned Davis Research Group for £69M Posted on June 21, 2011
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC acquires Arete Consulting Posted on August 13, 2010
- Euromoney sells EIC to Broadfern September 2007