Penske Media Corporation, a digital media and publishing company, has purchased Variety from Reed Business Information, part of Reed Elsevier. Terms of the asset purchase agreement between the parties were not disclosed.
Jay Penske, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of PMC, said, “Since 1905, Variety has been the world’s premier entertainment news source, and is today one of the most recognized global media brands. We are thrilled to welcome Variety and its exceptional team into the PMC organization. As part of this significant acquisition, we plan to rapidly build upon Variety’s foundation while extending this invaluable brand’s presence across the web, broadcast, mobile, and international markets.”
“We are enthusiastic that PMC will become the new steward of the great Variety franchise, which Reed Elsevier has built over the past 25 years, and the Silverman family for the 80 years before that,” said Neil Stiles, President of Variety. He added, “PMC is uniquely positioned to preserve and build the market presence of Variety. Their shared values and complementary assets provides for many new opportunities for the business model and brand.”
For more than a century, Variety has set the standard for comprehensive and relevant entertainment industry news, with resolute attention to the highest journalistic standards. The Variety business today includes Daily Variety, Weekly Variety, Conferences & Events, along with Variety.com’s searchable archives, interactive box office charting, credits database, film and television data business, in-depth industry calendar, and reviews dating back to 1914.
Mark Kelsey, CEO of Reed Business Information, said: “Variety is an iconic title serving the film and entertainment industry for more than 100 years. With RBI’s increasing focus on data services, it makes sense for us to sell the Variety business. Variety has an incredibly talented team who have successfully innovated and expanded the franchise in industry news and analysis. I have no doubt the business will continue to thrive under PMC’s ownership.”
“We couldn’t be more excited to now operate two of the finest brands in business of entertainment category,” said Nic Paul, SVP Entertainment Sales at PMC. He added, “Deadline.com’s supremacy in breaking news, and Variety’s extraordinary content and industry analysis, coupled with readership that combines key industry decision makers and influencers, creates a compelling value proposition for our partners and advertisers.”
Debt and equity financing for the transaction was provided by affiliates of Third Point LLC. Evercore Partners advised Reed Elsevier on the sale transaction.
USA, Los Angeles
- UK: RBI’s Variety Group to acquire TVtracker Posted on June 29, 2011
- Air Business acquires subscription and publishing services bureaux Quadrant Subscription Services from RBI Posted on June 1, 2011
- TechTarget completes acquisition of Computer Weekly from Reed Business Information Posted on April 29, 2011
- TechTarget to acquire Computer Weekly from Reed Business Information Posted on March 29, 2011
- Mail.com acquires Boy Genius Report Posted on April 27, 2010
- EPPG acquires Reed Business Information GmbH Posted on April 20, 2010
- RBI-US sells Publishers Weekly to former publisher George Slowik Posted on April 6, 2010
- Sandow Media acquires Interior Design and Furniture Today from Reed Business Information-US Posted on March 19, 2010
- Reed Business Information-US sells School Library Journal and Library Journal to Media Source Posted on March 1, 2010
- Canon Communications acquires design engineering media properties from RBI-US Posted on February 16, 2010: Updated on March 1, 2010