Reed Business Information (RBI) has sold New Scientist and its associated products and events to Kingston Acquisitions Limited, a company established by the former management team of Times Educational Supplement for the purpose of acquiring New Scientist. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
First published in 1956, New Scientist is a weekly science and technology magazine. The magazine covers current developments, news, reviews and commentary on science and technology. It also publishes speculative articles, ranging from the technical to the philosophical. A readers’ letters section discusses recent articles, and discussions also take place on the website. It has an average circulation (ABC audit) of 125,000, 82% print and 18% digital. 56% of it circulation is in the UK and Ireland, 44% ROW.
Kingston Acquisitions is led by by Sir Bernard Gray. Gray spent nearly ten years as a journalist at the Financial Times Group, including as a defence correspondent. Later he became chief executive of UBM’s, CMP Information. In 2005 Gray was appointed chief executive of TSL Education Limited, publisher of the Times Educational Supplement, when it was acquired by Exponent. He has been a defence adviser on defence spending to both the labour and conservative governments.
RBI is part of Relx (formerly Reed Elsevier). Relx has sold off the majority of its magazine publishing businesses. Its strategy is to move away from print revenues and instead to develop information-based analytics and decision tools that deliver enhanced value to customers.
- A FUSION DEAL: Imbibe Media Limited sold to Reed Exhibitions Posted on December 14, 2016
- Ziff Davis acquires emedia from RBI Posted on June 5, 2014
- TechMedia Network acquires BuyerZone from RBI Posted on January 23, 2014
- Reed Elsevier sells RBI France Posted on June 5, 2013
- Reed Elsevier reports growth in the 12 months to 31 December 2012 Posted on March 1, 2013
- Elsevier acquires Knovel, provider of web-based productivity application for the engineering community Posted on January 11, 2013
- Elsevier acquires Aureus Sciences Posted on January 11, 2013
- Elsevier Announces its Acquisition of the Journal of Choice Modelling Posted on December 17, 2012
- Penske Media Corporation acquires Variety from Reed Business Information Posted on October 9, 2012
- Reed Elsevier – results for the six months to 30 June 2012 Posted on July 30, 2012
- Reed Elsevier results for 2011 Posted on March 13, 2012
- Elsevier acquires The Ocular Surface Posted onJanuary 19, 2012
- Elsevier acquires QUOSA Posted on January 12, 2012
- Reed Elsevier to acquire Accuity Posted on September 28, 2011
- UK: RBI’s Variety Group to acquire TVtracker Posted on June 29, 2011
- Air Business acquires subscription and publishing services bureaux Quadrant Subscription Services from RBI Posted on June 1, 2011
- TechTarget completes acquisition of Computer Weekly from Reed Business Information Posted on April 29, 2011
- TechTarget to acquire Computer Weekly from Reed Business Information Posted on March 29, 2011
- Elsevier acquires oncology journal portfolio From Cancer Information Group Posted on February 4, 2011
- Martini Media Network raises $6 million led by Reed Elsevier Ventures Posted on June 14, 2010
- Mail.com acquires Boy Genius Report Posted on April 27, 2010
- EPPG acquires Reed Business Information GmbH Posted on April 20, 2010
- RBI-US sells Publishers Weekly to former publisher George Slowik Posted on April 6, 2010
- Sandow Media acquires Interior Design and Furniture Today from Reed Business Information-US Posted on March 19, 2010
- Reed Business Information-US sells School Library Journal and Library Journal to Media Source Posted on March 1, 2010
- Canon Communications acquires design engineering media properties from RBI-US Posted on February 16, 2010: Updated on