Bloomsbury Publishing Plc has acquired IBT Tauris & Co. Limited, the London-based academic publisher. The consideration was £5.8 million. £4.8m will be paid in cash at completion and up to £1.0m will be paid post-completion.
IBT has a publishing list in Middle East Studies, History, Politics and International Relations. Other subject areas in which it has a sizeable presence are Visual Culture, Classics, Ancient History and Religion. IBT has a back list of 4,000 titles and publishes about 200 new titles annually. Around 90% of sales are in print, so there is significant potential to grow digital revenues. IBT titles will be included within Bloomsbury’s digital resources. The business will operate within Bloomsbury’s Academic & Professional division.
IBT generated £4.3 million of revenue in the year ended 31 December 2017. The Acquisition is expected to make a small profit in its first year, before reorganisation and acquisition costs, then be earnings enhancing thereafter. It will contribute approximately £3.5 million of revenue to Bloomsbury in the year ending 28 February 2019.
Nigel Newton, Chief Executive of Bloomsbury commented: “The acquisition of IBT consolidates our significant presence in humanities and social science academic publishing. IBT’s complementary lists have good growth potential, especially with their inclusion within Bloomsbury’s Digital Resources strategy. This acquisition represents another key step in our strategy to continue to grow quality recurring revenues through our digital resource offering.”
- Bloomsbury acquires six LexisNexis and Jordan family family law titles Posted on December 22, 2015
- Bloomsbury Publishing acquires Osprey Publishing Posted on December 22, 2014
- Bloomsbury acquires Hart Publishing September 2, 2013
- Bloomsbury Publishing – unaudited Preliminary Results for the year ended 28 February 2013 Posted on May 22, 2013
- Bloomsbury Publishing announces results for the six months ended 31 August 2012 Posted on October 25, 2012
- Bloomsbury acquires Applied Visual Arts Publishing Posted on July 3, 2012
- Bloomsbury Publishing acquires Fairchild Books Posted on April 16, 2012