Keywords Studios is purchasing Yokozuna Data, a developer of artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies, from Silicon Studio Corporation for US$1.5mln in cash, which includes all associated technology rights and trademarks.
Yokozuna’s technologies, which include a range of self-learning, predictive analytic models drawing on AI and machine learning tech, are designed to predict the behaviour of individual video game players and adapt themselves to changes made in the game. The models are also used to determine the likelihood of players abandoning the game and their propensity to buy items in the game. The firm also offers a management framework which allows game companies to adjust key parameters, record and view results, and to monitor key performance metrics of their games in live operation.
As part of the agreement, Keywords will collaborate with Yokozuna’s previous owner Silicon to introduce the technologies developed by the company to Japanese game developers and publishers, while also retaining the non-exclusive right to resell Yokozuna’s solutions to non-game markets (such as healthcare) in exchange for a share of associated revenues.
Andrew Day, Keywords’ chief executive, said that the company had been looking to “establish a foothold in…video game analytics for a few years”, and that while Yokozuna was pre-revenue, it was a “rare asset” with clients expected to start implementing the software in 2018. He added that as video games continued to transition to a service model from a product model, “the use of sophisticated analytics engines like this to automatically understand player behaviour and trigger real time decisions in-game will become increasingly valuable”, and that the use of AI to adapt predictive models in games based on in-game changes was “critical to the future of the video games industry”.
Ireland, Dublin & Japan, Tokyo
- Keywords Studios acquires Snowed In Studios for $4M (CAD) Posted on July 20, 2018
- Keywords acquires Blindlight for up to $10M Posted on June 11, 2018
- Keywords Studios acquires Fire Without Smoke Posted on May 30, 2018
- Keywords Studios acquires games developer Sperasoft Posted on December 13, 2017
- Keywords acquires La Marque Rose, Asrec, Dune Sound and Around the Word – all in Paris Posted on August 4, 2017
- Keywords Studios acquires Spov Posted on February 20, 2017
- Keywords Studios acquires Enzyme Testing Labs Posted on November 17, 2016
- Keywords Studios acquires Player Research Ltd Posted on October 26, 2016
- Keywords Studios acquires Synthesis for up to €18m Posted on April 13, 2016
- Keywords Studios – early completion of Binari Sonori earn out Posted on January 20, 2015
- Keywords Studios acquires Lakshya Digital in India Posted on October 10, 2014
- Keywords acquires Binari Sonori in Italy Posted on May 9, 2014
- Keywords Studios acquires Babel Media Posted on February 18, 2014
- Keywords Studios acquires Liquid Violet Posted on January 19, 2014