Future plc has acquired SmartBrief Inc., a US-based digital media publisher of targeted business news and information for USD 45 million. The initial amount will include a cash consideration of USD 32.2 million funded from the Group’s existing debt facilities, with a further USD 12.8 million to be satisfied through the issue to the vendors of 1,027,492 new ordinary shares. The agreement also includes a deferred consideration based on certain financial targets achieved over the year ending 31 July 2020, which is subject to a cap of USD 20 million.
Leveraging proprietary technology and editorial expertise, SmartBrief delivers relevant industry news in partnership with trade associations, professional societies and corporations. SmartBrief owns a database of over 5.8 million subscribers made up of senior executives, thought leaders and industry professionals.
Founded in 1999 and based in Washington DC, SmartBrief creates and distributes more than 250 digital newsletters, allowing advertisers to target and engage with decision-makers and influencers across multiple sectors including food and travel, business, education, finance, health care, retail, tech, marketing and advertising. During 2018 Future extended its successful consumer strategy into B2B through the acquisition of NewBay Media in the US, which enabled Future to access the B2B market with several market-leading titles.
Zillah Byng-Thorne, CEO of Future, said, “The acquisition of SmartBrief will substantially boost our presence and market position in the B2B sector and enhance our technology capabilities.”
“SmartBrief is a leading, respected provider of sector-focused newsletters and daily email briefings covering a range of key verticals. The addition of SmartBrief’s must-read information products to our portfolio will further extend the reach of our B2B operations. The acquisition will be earnings enhancing, and we have identified several exciting opportunities to leverage SmartBrief’s proprietary technology in both our B2C and B2B business.”
UK, London & USA, Washington DC, WA
- Future plc acquires Cycling News and Procycling Posted on February 19, 2019
- Future to acquire Purch’s consumer division for $132.5M Posted on July 18, 2018
- Future completes the acquisition of four consumer titles from Haymarket Posted on May 2, 2018
- Future plc acquires Newbay MediaPosted on April 4, 2018
- Future plc acquires five specialist consumer titles from Haymarket Media Group for £14MPosted on March 21, 2018
- Future plc to acquire Imagine Publishing for £14.2M Posted on June 23, 2016
- Kelsey Publishing acquires Auto titles and Triathlon Plus from Future for £2.1M Posted on July 25, 2014
- Immediate Media Co to acquire Future’s Sport and Craft titles Posted on May 29, 2014
- Profits rise at Future plc Posted on November 22, 2013
- Future acquires APC and TechLife – from Bauer Media Group in Australia Posted on August 16, 2013
- Future plc – interim results for the half-year ended 31 March 2013 Posted on May 22, 2013
- Future sells Classic Rock and Metal Hammer Posted on April 2, 2013
- Future plc interim management statement for the period from 1 October 2012 to date Posted on February 4, 2013
- Future Plc preliminary results – earnings boosted by digital growth Posted on November 27, 2012
- Future sells its US Music division to New Bay Media for $3M Posted on January 13, 2012
- Future PLC’s CEO & FD resign Posted on October 27, 2011
- Future Publishing emerges as a contender for BBC Worldwide’s magazine division Posted on February 24, 2011