Future plc, a global platform for specialist media, has acquired Newbay Media LLC, a US based information and events business, for an initial net consideration of $12.25 million (£8.62 million) cash and $1.55 million (£1.09 million) shares, with a further potential deferred consideration of up to $5.60 million (£3.94 million) in January 2019, depending on the future performance of the acquired business.
Newbay’s information and events business operates in three verticals: Television & Video, Entertainment & Educational Technology and Music. Newbay’s brands include Music Week, Twice and Broadcasting & Cable. Newbay generated EBITDA of $4.2 million in the year ending 31 December 2017.
The acquisition has been funded in part by an increase in Future’s debt facilities of £5m with the remainder of the cash consideration, as well as the expected cash consideration of the acquisition of the Haymarket titles recently announced, funded out of existing debt facilities
The initial share consideration constitutes 283,692 new ordinary shares of 15p each (the “Consideration Shares”) with a holdback on a potential further 18,303 shares. The Consideration Shares will be subject to lock-up restrictions for a period of three months from the date of issue.
Zillah Byng-Thorne, CEO of Future, commented: “This acquisition strengthens our presence in the US, and together with our recent UK acquisition expands our market leadership in music and consumer electronics. Newbay’s B2B titles, including those in audio visual and television broadcasting, will further diversify our revenue streams whilst bringing additional valuable B2B experience to complement Future’s B2C businesses.“
UK, London & USA, New York, NY
- Future plc acquires five specialist consumer titles from Haymarket Media Group for £14M Posted on March 21, 2018
- Future plc to acquire Imagine Publishing for £14.2M Posted on June 23, 2016
- Kelsey Publishing acquires Auto titles and Triathlon Plus from Future for £2.1M Posted on July 25, 2014
- Immediate Media Co to acquire Future’s Sport and Craft titles Posted on May 29, 2014
- Profits rise at Future plc Posted on November 22, 2013
- Future acquires APC and TechLife – from Bauer Media Group in Australia Posted on August 16, 2013
- Future plc – interim results for the half-year ended 31 March 2013 May 22, 2013
- Future sells Classic Rock and Metal Hammer Posted on April 2, 2013
- Future plc interim management statement for the period from 1 October 2012 to date Posted on February 4, 2013
- Future Plc preliminary results – earnings boosted by digital growth Posted on November 27, 2012
- Future sells its US Music division to New Bay Media for $3M Posted on January 13, 2012
- Future PLC’s CEO & FD resign Posted on October 27, 2011
- Future Publishing emerges as a contender for BBC Worldwide’s magazine division Posted on February 24, 2011