WPP is to acquire the assets of digital agency AKQA Holdings, Inc.
Founded in 2001, AKQA provides integrated digital communications campaigns, spanning social media, mobile, interactive experiences, gaming and content creation. Clients include Delta, Diageo, EDF, GAP, Google, Microsoft Xbox, Nike, Target, Unilever and Virgin Money, among many others.
International recognition for its creative excellence has earned the agency numerous industry awards, including 19 Agency of the Year titles. Last year, AKQA won Digital Agency of the Year honours in both the US (Adweek) and the UK (Campaign) and collected five Cannes Lions.
Currently employing 1160 people worldwide – from software engineers and technologists to creatives and strategists – the agency operates through offices in the US (San Francisco, New York, Washington DC), Europe (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin) and Asia (Shanghai). The agency had gross assets of $282 million as at 31 December 2011 and forecasts revenues of around $230 million in 2012, having achieved $189 million in 2011.
AKQA will continue to operate as an independent and stand-alone brand within WPP and be led by founder and CEO Ajaz Ahmed and Chairman Tom Bedecarré. Tom Bedecarré will also become President of WPP Ventures, a new Silicon Valley-based company, which will explore new digital investment opportunities for WPP as a whole.
Commenting on the arrival of AKQA, Sir Martin Sorrell, CEO, WPP said: “We are thrilled to welcome AKQA’s unique team of technological innovators and entrepreneurs to WPP. We have admired their creativity and technological skills for a long time along with their outstandingly effective and award-winning work for clients. We are looking forward to working with Ajaz and Tom to broaden their offer and our own, both geographically and functionally. We are delighted to be united!”
UK, London & USA, San Francisco, CA
- WPP plc to acquire 87% of Press Index S.A posted on June 14, 2012
- Ogilvy & Mather acquires stake in Istropolitana Group posted on June 18, 2012
- JWT to acquire majority stake in Hungama Digital Services in India Posted on June 13, 2012
- KBM Group to acquire a majority stake in digital data agency Predictys SAS Posted on May 29, 2012
- Ogilvy & Mather to acquire a stake in Today Advertising in Myanmar posted on May 21, 2012
- WPP’s Possible Worldwide acquires Grape LLC in Russia Posted on May 18, 2012
- WPP’s Penn Schoen Berland acquires First Movies International Posted on April 19, 2012
- WPP Digital invests in mySupermarket Posted on April 19, 2012
- WPP acquires EffectiveUI Posted on April 16, 2012
- WPP acquires stake in multinational retail marketing agency, Barrows Posted on April 16, 2012
- WPP to acquire Carnation Internet Tanácsadó Zrt in Hungary Posted on April 16, 2012
- WPP acquires Crowdverb, an advocacy firm in the US Posted on April 16, 2012
- WPP’s Kantar Retail to acquire minority interest in retail consultancy GME in the UAE Posted on April 16, 2012
- JWT to acquires stake in digital agency, Converge Technologies in Pakistan Posted on March 20, 2012
- 24/7 Real Media acquires digital video advertising company Panache Posted on December 6, 2011
- Possible Worldwide Acquires Brazilian Digital Agency Grïngo posted on June 3, 2011
- WPP Acquires a Majority Stake in F.biz, the Largest Independent Digital Agency in Brazil Posted on June 3, 2011
- WPP acquires Who Digital in Vietnam Posted on March 23, 2011
- WPP Digital acquires Blue State Digital Posted on December 30, 2010
- WPP acquires Marketing Direct Posted on December 9, 2010
- WPP acquires consumer and business transaction data firm I-Behavior Posted on November 10, 2010
- ghg acquires Geoff Howe Marketing Communications Posted on August 29, 2010
- WPP Digital takes stake in digital advertising measurement firm in China Posted on August 13, 2010