Yahoo has acquired Aviate, a startup produces an app, which is still in beta, to organises the apps on the home screen of Android devices. Aviate is the first product from San Francisco-based startup ThumbsUp Labs. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The acquisition was announced by Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer during her keynote speech at the 2014 International CES.
You can see Mayer’s keynote speech here.
Talking about the acquisition, Mayer said, “It is no secret we are amidst a massive and continuing shift to mobile,” Mayer said onstage at one of the world’s largest tech events. “But the shift is not just about proliferation, it’s also about how much time we are spending on phones. Weather, mail, finance, news — mobile puts them in your pocket and makes them a daily habit. We acquired Aviate because we believe home screens should be smarter and more personalised.”
It is Yahoo’s first acquisition announcement of 2014. Yahoo acquired 28 startups in 2013.
USA, Sunnyvale, CA & Palo Alto, CA
- Yahoo completes the acquisition of Tumblr Posted on June 21, 2013
- Yahoo! acquires gaming infrastructure start-up PlayerScale Posted on May 30, 2013
- Yahoo! to Acquire Tumblr for $1.1BN – promises not to screw it up May 22, 2013
- Yahoo acquires to-do app Astrid Posted on May 3, 2013
- Yahoo acquires Summly for $30 million Posted on March 25, 2013
- Yahoo! acquires mobile app creator Alike February 13, 2013
- Yahoo! acquires snip.it Posted on January 24, 2013
- Yahoo! acquires video chat company OnTheAir Posted on December 10, 2012
- Yahoo! to acquire interclick Posted on November 7, 2011
- Yahoo! for sale? Posted on September 19, 2011
- Yahoo! to acquire 5to1 Holding Corp Posted on May 29, 2011
- YouTube founders acquire Delicious From Yahoo! Posted on April 29, 2011
- Yahoo! acquires IntoNow Posted on April 29, 2011
- Yahoo in talks to sell its share of Yahoo Japan for $8 billion Posted on March 2, 2011
- Yahoo! to sell Delicious Posted on December 18, 2010
- AOL exploring a breakup of the company and merger with Yahoo Posted on December 7, 2010
- Yahoo! buys Koprol Posted on May 25, 2010
- Yahoo! to acquire Associated Content Posted on May 19, 2010
- Yahoo! to acquire Citizen Sports Posted on March 17, 2010
- Monster Worldwide acquires the assets of Yahoo! HotJobs for $225 million Posted on February 4, 2010
- The Yahoo!/Maktoob acquisition deal has officially closed Posted on November 12, 2009