Measurement and data analytics company Nielsen has acquired Sorenson Media, an addressable TV technology provider that will help transform TV from a one-to-many to a one-to-one medium by powering addressable ad delivery and measurement. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
With the deal, Nielsen announced the launch of a new technology, product and commercial initiative, Nielsen Advanced Video Advertising, that will focus on expanding and innovating addressable advertising for Smart TVs and beyond.
Over the last several years, Nielsen has made a number of strategic acquisitions that have strengthened its technology offerings and positioned it to thrive in the addressable TV future. It acquired Qterics, a Smart TV software and privacy management company. Integrated into the firmware layer of millions of Smart TVs, Gracenote’s ACR technology provides the ability for real-time, frame-level ad detection regardless of source or platform. And the most recent acquisition of Sorenson Media completes Nielsen’s go-to-market technology stack with an end-to-end ad delivery solution enabling addressable advertising for TV at scale.
David Kenny, CEO of Nielsen, said, “It’s clear that a significant portion of TV advertising will be addressable long into the future. With the continued evolution of our Total Audience measurement, underpinned by decades of trust, transparency and independence, it was evident that we needed to bring our unique set of technology assets and talent to tackle the greatest challenges the TV advertising industry is facing. And with the Sorenson Media acquisition, we can create improved value and efficiency across the entire media chain – from ad targeting and delivery to measurement and attribution – and make addressable TV more of a reality.”
UK, Oxford & USA, Salt Lake City, UT
- Nielsen Media Research to acquire Ebiquity’s AdIntel business for £26M Posted on February 13, 2018
- Nielsen acquires Harris Interactive Posted on February 5, 2014
- Nielsen completes the acquisition of Arbitron Posted on October 1, 2013
- Canadian PE acquires Nielsen’s exhibition unit Posted on May 9, 2013
- Nielsen to acquire Arbitron Posted on December 18, 2012
- Nielsen, NM Incite acquires SocialGuide Posted on November 16, 2012
- Demand for media IPOs growing – Demand Media and Nielsen shares soar above their IPO prices Posted on January 27, 2011
- The Nielsen Company announces the pricing of Its Initial Public Offering Posted on January 26, 2011
- Nielsen plans to raise $2.01 billion through its IPO, up from previously reported $1.75M Posted on August 19, 2010
- Nielsen plans to raise $1.75 billion through an IPO Posted on June 3, 2010
- The Nielsen Company Acquires Video Technology Leader GlanceGuide Posted on June 3, 2010
You must be logged in to post a comment.