Nielsen Holdings N.V., a provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy, is to acquire Arbitron Inc., an international media and marketing research firm.
Nielsen will acquire all of the outstanding common stock of Arbitron for $48 per share in cash, representing a premium of approximately 26 percent to Arbitron’s closing price on December 17, 2012. Nielsen has a financing commitment for the total transaction amount.
“U.S. consumers spend almost 2 hours a day with radio. It is and will continue to be a vibrant and important advertising medium,” said Nielsen Chief Executive Officer David Calhoun. “Arbitron will help Nielsen better solve for unmeasured areas of media consumption, including streaming audio and out-of-home. The high level of engagement with radio and TV among rapidly growing multicultural audiences makes this central to Nielsen’s priorities.”
Arbitron generated total revenues of $445 million and adjusted EBITDA of $131 million for the 12 months ended September 30, 2012. Cost synergies are reported to be at least $20 million and will be largely driven by the integration of technology platforms and data acquisition efforts.
USA, New York, NY
- Nielsen, NM Incite acquires SocialGuide Posted on November 16, 2012
- Demand for media IPOs growing – Demand Media and Nielsen shares soar above their IPO prices Posted on January 27, 2011
- The Nielsen Company announces the pricing of Its Initial Public Offering Posted on January 26, 2011
- Nielsen plans to raise $2.01 billion through its IPO, up from previously reported $1.75M Posted on August 19, 2010
- Nielsen plans to raise $1.75 billion through an IPO Posted on June 3, 2010
- The Nielsen Company Acquires Video Technology Leader GlanceGuide Posted on June 3, 2010