Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, “We’re thrilled to welcome Lucasfilm to the Disney family,” said Iger. “Star Wars is one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time and this transaction combines that world class content with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets, which we believe will generate growth as well as significant long-term value.”
Under the terms of the merger agreement, at closing Disney issued 37,076,679 shares and made a cash payment of $2,208,199,950. Based upon the closing price of Disney shares on December 21, 2012 at $50.00, the transaction has a total value of approximately $4.06 billion.
Lucasfilm’s assets include its massively popular Star Wars franchise, operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production, as well as a substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies. It operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound.
USA, Burbank, CA & San Francisco, CA
- Disney to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd Posted on October 31, 2012
- The Walt Disney Company acquires online parenting platform Babble Media Posted on November 19, 2011
- Disney acquires Rocket Pack Posted on March 4, 2011
- Disney acquires kids social online community site Togetherville Posted on February 24, 2011
- Disney acquires Tapulous, a developer of music games for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch Posted on July 2, 2010
- Disney Completes Marvel Acquisition Posted on January 1, 2010