The Walt Disney Company is acquiring Star Wars film maker Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.
Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.
“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”
Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected follow. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box office to date
USA, Burbank, CA & San Francisco, CA
- The Walt Disney Company acquires online parenting platform Babble Media Posted on November 19, 2011
- Disney acquires Rocket Pack Posted on March 4, 2011
- Disney acquires kids social online community site Togetherville Posted on February 24, 2011
- Disney acquires Tapulous, a developer of music games for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch Posted on July 2, 2010
- Disney Completes Marvel Acquisition Posted on January 1, 2010