Axel Springer SE is to acquire a minority interest in New York City-based Thrillist Media Group, a digital media company and lifestyle destination for millennial men. Once completed, it will make Axel Springer the largest outside investor in Thrillist Media Group.
Thrillist was founded in 2005 by Ben Lerer, CEO, and Adam Rich, Editor-in-Chief. It reaches 15 million monthly unique visitors to Thrillist.com, and over 80 million a month across its digital, social and mobile platforms, TMG operates the popular lifestyle portal Thrillist along with related daily newsletters and mobile app, with a focus on the sought-after demographic of 18 to 34-year-old men. Thrillist has local editions covering more than 35 cities in the U.S. and Europe. In the last year, Thrillist traffic has seen 100 percent year-over-year growth, with more than 66 percent of traffic coming from mobile.
Mathias Döpfner, CEO of Axel Springer SE, said, “The investment in Thrillist is a further step we are taking to expand our global footprint as a digital publisher, especially in English-language markets. Thrillist has become a first choice, particularly among millennial men. We see strong further potential and are looking forward to close cooperation with Ben, Adam and the whole Thrillist team.”
Ben Lerer, Co-Founder and CEO of Thrillist Media Group, commented, “We are very excited about this announcement. Axel Springer’s track record of success and its deep understanding of the digital media landscape make it an ideal partner as well as a huge asset for our media team as we continue to expand our rapidly growing business.”
The company’s related e-commerce business, JackThreads, is not part of this investment and will in the future be operated as a separate company.
Completion of this transaction is expected in early October.
Germany, Berlin & USA, New York, NY
- Axel Springer acquires Business Insider September 29, 2015
- POLITICO and Axel Springer acquire EUROPEAN VOICE December 17, 2014
- Axel Springer acquires N24 December 12, 2013
- FUNKE MEDIENGRUPPE acquires regional newspapers and parts of the magazine portfolio from Axel Springer July 30, 2013
- Axel Springer sells Gamigo to Samarion S.E Posted on November 16, 2012
- Axel Springer Digital Classifieds acquires majority of property portal Immoweb in Belgium Posted on November 16, 2012
- Axel Springer Digital Classifieds to acquire local portal meinestadt.de Posted on August 21, 2012
- Axel Springer achieves double-digit growth in revenues and earnings in 2011 Posted on March 7, 2012
- Ringier takes over Edipresse A.S. Romania Posted on September 13, 2011
- Axel Springer acquires majority interest in kaufDA Posted on March 3, 2011
- Axel Springer and SeLoger.com agree on a revised offer at €38.05 Posted on January 19, 2011
- Ringier Axel Springer Media AG acquires majority in leading Slovakian internet portal AZET.SK Posted on December 20, 2010
- Axel Springer’s public tender offer for all outstanding shares of SeLoger.com has been cleared November 30, 2010
- Axel Springer has been on a digital buying spree Posted on November 20, 2010
- Axel Springer gets rid of its wallstreet:online sites Posted on May 18, 2010
- Axel Springer Russia has acquired Gruner+Jahr Russia Posted on November 25, 2010