Axel Springer SE has acquired N24 Media GmbH, the 24 hour news channel. The N24 Group employs around 300 staff working including at its subsidiaries N24 and MAZ&More. N24 also produces the main news bulletins for SAT.1, ProSieben and kabel eins. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Axel Springer plans to combine N24 and the Welt group, which publishes a daily broadsheet Die Welt. According to Axel Springer, “N24 becomes the central moving image provider for all Axel Springer brands”.
The editorial team of WELT Group is extended to include the N24 digital editorial team. The joint WELT Group/N24 editorial team will in future produce both brands’ journalistic content for all the digital channels, as well as for the WELT Group’s print products. N24 also has a TV and program editorial team. The result is one of the largest multimedia editorial teams in Germany.
The management will be Jan Bayer, 43, President of WELT Group and Printing of Axel Springer, Torsten Rossmann, 50, Chairman of the N24 management board, and Stephanie Caspar, 40, Managing Director of WELT Group.
Jan-Eric Peters, 48, editor-in-chief of WELT Group, will be responsible for all content of the WELT Group and their joint digital services. Arne Teetz, 46, editor-in-chief of N24, will be responsible for all moving image content.
Stefan Aust, 67, previously a shareholder of N24, becomes publisher of the Group from 1 January 2014. Thomas Schmid, 68, will also remain publisher of the WELT Group until 30 June 2014.
Jan Bayer said, “N24 and the WELT Group complement each other perfectly and together represent the multimedia spectrum of journalism. N24 benefits through this partnership from the editorial quality and digital expertise of WELT Group. Axel Springer and WELT Group gain access to the moving image and live news competence of N24.”
- FUNKE MEDIENGRUPPE acquires regional newspapers and parts of the magazine portfolio from Axel Springer July 30, 2013
- Axel Springer sells Gamigo to Samarion S.E Posted on November 16, 2012
- Axel Springer Digital Classifieds acquires majority of property portal Immoweb in Belgium Posted on November 16, 2012
- Axel Springer Digital Classifieds to acquire local portal meinestadt.de Posted on August 21, 2012
- Axel Springer achieves double-digit growth in revenues and earnings in 2011 Posted on March 7, 2012
- Ringier takes over Edipresse A.S. Romania Posted on September 13, 2011
- Axel Springer acquires majority interest in kaufDA Posted on March 3, 2011
- Axel Springer and SeLoger.com agree on a revised offer at €38.05 Posted on January 19, 2011
- Ringier Axel Springer Media AG acquires majority in leading Slovakian internet portal AZET.SK Posted on December 20, 2010
- Axel Springer’s public tender offer for all outstanding shares of SeLoger.com has been cleared November 30, 2010
- Axel Springer has been on a digital buying spree Posted on November 20, 2010
- Axel Springer gets rid of its wallstreet:online sites Posted on May 18, 2010
- Axel Springer Russia has acquired Gruner+Jahr Russia Posted on November 25, 2010