Axel Springer SE and ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE have each acquired a minority shareholding in Jaunt, an American start-up that specialises in the creation and distribution of virtual reality content.
Working with media companies, advertisers and artists, and using in-house developers camera and software technology, Jaunt produces high-quality virtual reality content and releases this via the Jaunt distribution platform. To date, videos are primarily receivable through the Jaunt Smartphone app using Cardboards. In future they will however also be available directly on Virtual Reality headset displays such as the “Oculus Rift”.
Following the joint Media-for-Equity shareholding in the DEAG subsidiary MyTicket and the co-investment in Klaus Hommels’ LAKESTAR II Internet fund, the participation in Jaunt is a third measure in the joint initiative by Axel Springer and ProSiebenSat.1 to promote digital growth companies.
Alongside Axel Springer and ProSiebenSat.1, The Walt Disney Company, Evolution Media Partners and China Media Capital are also taking part in the current investment round in Jaunt. Other investors include Google Ventures, Highland Capital, Redpoint Ventures and Sky, as well as prominent angel investors such as Jared Leto.
Anton Waitz, Managing Director of Axel Springer Digital Ventures Inc.: “Jaunt is an exciting new component in the portfolio of our early-stage investments. We are investing in a market, which can change media use over the next few years: Virtual Reality will provide creative pioneers in the entertainment and news industry with completely new ways of pleasing their audiences.”
Dr. Hanno Fichtner, Chief Digital Strategy Officer of ProSiebenSat.1 in San Francisco: “The investment in Jaunt is an investment in the future of entertainment for ProSiebenSat.1. Virtual reality will trigger an entertainment revolution similar to what our core media of TV did. Jaunt is perfectly positioned in this market and has raised the quality of virtual reality experiences to the next level.”
Jens Christensen, CEO and co-Founder of Jaunt: “We are excited to have Axel Springer and ProSiebenSat.1, two leading and innovative media companies, as a part of this strategic investor round. As we continue to build upon our leadership position, delivering amazing virtuality reality experiences to audiences worldwide, we are pleased to have these strong European partners on our side.”
Germany Berlin & USA, Palo Alto, CA
- POLITICO and Axel Springer acquire EUROPEAN VOICE December 17, 2014
- Axel Springer acquires N24 December 12, 2013
- FUNKE MEDIENGRUPPE acquires regional newspapers and parts of the magazine portfolio from Axel Springer July 30, 2013
- Axel Springer sells Gamigo to Samarion S.E Posted on November 16, 2012
- Axel Springer Digital Classifieds acquires majority of property portal Immoweb in Belgium Posted on November 16, 2012
- Axel Springer Digital Classifieds to acquire local portal meinestadt.de Posted on August 21, 2012
- Axel Springer achieves double-digit growth in revenues and earnings in 2011 Posted on March 7, 2012
- Ringier takes over Edipresse A.S. Romania Posted on September 13, 2011
- Axel Springer acquires majority interest in kaufDA Posted on March 3, 2011
- Axel Springer and SeLoger.com agree on a revised offer at €38.05 Posted on January 19, 2011
- Ringier Axel Springer Media AG acquires majority in leading Slovakian internet portal AZET.SK Posted on December 20, 2010
- Axel Springer’s public tender offer for all outstanding shares of SeLoger.com has been cleared November 30, 2010
- Axel Springer has been on a digital buying spree Posted on November 20, 2010
- Axel Springer gets rid of its wallstreet:online sites Posted on May 18, 2010
- Axel Springer Russia has acquired Gruner+Jahr Russia Posted on November 25, 2010