Twitter has acquired Mitro Labs, a company that is developing a secure, password manager for individuals and groups. This appears to be a talent hire. Twitter is allowing the service to continue to operate and Mitro has released all of its server and client code under the GPL license on Github.
We’re excited to announce that the Mitro team is joining Twitter’s location team in New York, focusing on a variety of geo-related projects! As we transition to Twitter, we want to provide you with some updates on our product.
Mitro is now open-source.
As of today, we are releasing all of Mitro’s server and client code under the GPL license on Github. We’ve been working hard to build a secure, easy-to-use password manager for individuals and groups. We’ve made great progress and we believe that the community can help us accomplish even more. With that in mind, we’re excited to be receiving advice and assistance from the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) in transitioning Mitro to a sustainable, community-run project (see the EFF’s announcement). The service will continue to operate as-is for the foreseeable future. To learn more and to see how you can help, please join the discussion on the mailing list.
We want to thank our users, institutional investors (especially Stan Reiss at Matrix and Rich Miner at Google Ventures), and angel investors for helping us build a product that is both secure and usable. We’d also like to thank Twitter for their support as we make this transition.
USA, San Francisco, CA & New York, NY
- Twitter acquires Madbits July 30, 2014
- Twitter acquires CardSpring Posted on July 22, 2014
- Twitter acquires Spindle June 20, 2013
- Twitter acquires Crashlytics Posted on January 30, 2013
- Twitter acquires Posterous Posted on March 14, 2012
- Julpan acquired by Twitter Posted onSeptember 22, 2011
- Twitter acquires social analytics platform BackType Posted on July 6, 2011
- AdGrok has been acquired by Twitter Posted on June 2, 2011
- TweetDeck acquired By Twitter Posted on May 24, 2011
- Twitter in talks to buy Tweetdeck for $50 million Posted on April 21, 2011
- UberMedia close to acquiring TweetDeck Posted on February 14, 2011