Twitter has acquired Boston-based app maker Spindle Labs. Spindle was founded by Pat Kinsel and Alex lambert. Spindle helps you discover the best social updates from nearby shops, restaurants, bars, event venues, parks, museums and galleries, community organisations, and other attractions. The terms of the deal were not disclosed. The Spindle app has been removed from the App Store.
Here is the announcement on the Spindle blog.
We’re very proud to announce that Spindle has been acquired by Twitter.
We’ve spent the past two and a half years building a product that helps you answer the question: “What’s happening nearby right now?” Every time we’ve experimented and looked beyond local discovery, we’ve been amazed by the breadth and quality of content shared on Twitter. By joining forces with Twitter, we can do so much more to help you find interesting, timely, and useful information about what’s happening around you.
The Spindle team will be relocating and joining the Twitter team in San Francisco. As part of this change, we’ll be sunsetting the Spindle service today to focus on these new and exciting opportunities.
To our users, friends, families, investors, advisors, and everyone else: thank you for your support. It’s been an incredible journey and we couldn’t have gotten here without you.
– The Spindle Team
USA, San Francisco, CA & Boston, MA
- Twitter acquires Crashlytics Posted on January 30, 2013
- Twitter acquires Posterous Posted on March 14, 2012
- Julpan acquired by Twitter Posted onSeptember 22, 2011
- Twitter acquires social analytics platform BackType Posted on July 6, 2011
- AdGrok has been acquired by Twitter Posted on June 2, 2011
- TweetDeck acquired By Twitter Posted on May 24, 2011
- Twitter in talks to buy Tweetdeck for $50 million Posted on April 21, 2011
- UberMedia close to acquiring TweetDeck Posted on February 14, 2011
- Twitter has no plans to go public and the JP Morgan investment story is made up Posted on March 4, 2011