According to an announcement on the Madbits website, Twitter has acquired image search startup Madbits. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Madbits was founded by Clément Farabet and Louis-Alexandre Etezad-Heydari, two former students of Facebook AI Lab director and New York University professor Yann LeCun.
Today, after a tremendous year of development and iterations, we are excited to announce that we are joining Twitter.
Over this past year, we’ve built visual intelligence technology that automatically understands, organizes and extracts relevant information from raw media. Understanding the content of an image, whether or not there are tags associated with that image, is a complex challenge. We developed our technology based on deep learning, an approach to statistical machine learning that involves stacking simple projections to form powerful hierarchical models of a signal.
We prototyped and tested about ten different applications, and as we’ve prepared to launch publicly, we’ve decided to bring the technology to Twitter, a company that shares our ambitions and vision and will help us scale this technology.
We are excited to join the folks at Twitter to merge our efforts and see this technology grow to its full potential.
Clément Farabet, Louis-Alexandre Etezad-Heydari
& the MADBITS team
Earlier this month, FusionDigiNet reported that Twitter had acquired CardSpring, an application platform that lets developers build card-linked digital coupons, virtual rewards, and loyalty programs that work with credit cards and other types of payments.
USA, San Francisco, CA & New York, NY
- Twitter acquires CardSpring Posted on July 22, 2014
- Twitter acquires Spindle June 20, 2013
- Twitter acquires Crashlytics Posted on January 30, 2013
- Twitter acquires Posterous Posted on March 14, 2012
- Julpan acquired by Twitter Posted onSeptember 22, 2011
- Twitter acquires social analytics platform BackType Posted on July 6, 2011
- AdGrok has been acquired by Twitter Posted on June 2, 2011
- TweetDeck acquired By Twitter Posted on May 24, 2011
- Twitter in talks to buy Tweetdeck for $50 million Posted on April 21, 2011
- UberMedia close to acquiring TweetDeck Posted on February 14, 2011
- Twitter has no plans to go public and the JP Morgan investment story is made up Posted on March 4, 2011
You must be logged in to post a comment.