Google-owned YouTube has acquired fflick, a business founded by former Digg employees and which uses Twitter to power a movie sentiment and recommendation engine, for around $10 million.
The announcement on YouTube reads:
Share and share a like: we’ve acquired Fflick
Many of the YouTube videos you watch and love are also shared on sites beyond YouTube.com. Our site is built, in part, on social tools like comments, video responses and ratings. In recent years we’ve worked to integrate these social signals across other popular social platforms. For example, we see more than 400 tweets per minute containing a YouTube link, and over 150 years worth of YouTube video is watched on Facebook every day.
We’ve always believed that there are great conversations happening all the time off of YouTube.com, and that commentary has the potential to enrich your experience when watching and discovering video on YouTube itself. So today we’re excited to announce we’ve acquired Fflick, a talented team that analyzes social media data to surface great content and the discussions around it.
We were impressed by the technical talent, design instincts and entrepreneurial spirit of the Fflick team. As part of YouTube, the Fflick team will help us build features to connect you with the great videos talked about all over the web, and surface the best of those conversations for you to participate in.
- Google acquires SayNow Posted on January 26, 2011
- Google acquires eBook Technologies Posted on January 14, 2011
- Google acquire Phonetic Arts Posted on December 7, 2010
- Google acquires Widevine Posted on December 7, 2010
- Groupon rejects Google’s $6 billion offer Posted on December 7, 2010
- Has Google bought Groupon? Posted by Fusion DigiNet on November 30, 2010
- Google acquires Quiksee Posted on September 15, 2010
- Google acquires SocialDeck September 1, 2010
- Google in the final stages of acquiring Like.com Posted on August 19, 2010
- Google acquires social technology company Slide Posted on August 13, 2010
- Google to buy ITA Software for $700 million Posted on July 2, 2010
- Google to make cash offer to acquire Global IP Solutions Posted on May 10, 2010
- Google acquires Labpixies Posted on April 30, 2010
- Online photo editor Picnik Acquired by Google Posted on March 9, 2010
- Google has acquired DocVerse Posted on March 6, 2010
- Social search engine Aardvark has been acquired by Google Posted on February 14, 2010
- Google is acquiring AppJet, the small startup that builds the popular collaboration tool EtherPad Posted on December 4, 2009
Leave a Reply