Hearst Corporation has acquired Birmingham, Ala., NBC affiliate WVTM-TV, Channel 13, from Media General, Inc. and Savannah, Ga., ABC affiliate WJCL-TV, from LIN Media LLC. The announcement was made by Steven R. Swartz, president and CEO, Hearst Corporation, and Jordan Wertlieb, president, Hearst Television Inc. The terms of the transactions were not disclosed.
Birmingham is the 44th largest television market and Savannah is the 92nd largest.
Hearst also announced new management for the stations. Henry “Hank” Price, a highly recognised broadcast industry veteran who has served since 2000 as president and general manager of Hearst’s WXII-TV, the NBC affiliate in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem, N.C., TV market, will move to WVTM in the same role. His successor at WXII-TV will be announced at a later date. Timothy J. (Tim) Morrissey, most recently president and general manager of WCNC-TV, the Gannett-owned NBC affiliate in Charlotte, N.C., will become president and general manager of WJCL; the move marks a return to Hearst for Morrissey, who in the mid-1980s served as news director at Hearst’s WISN-TV in Milwaukee.
” Jordan Wertlieb, president, Hearst Television Inc., said. “Television stations with strong news brands attract the largest audiences. A dedication to quality local programming and community service will be our focus as we grow our audience in the region. Hank and Tim exemplify that dedication.”
USA, New York
- Hearst Corporation to increase equity interest in Fitch Group to 80 percent December 12, 2014
- Hearst Magazines UK sells Coast Magazine and transfers Psychologies licence to Kelsey Publishing Posted on May 29, 2012
- Immediate Media acquires You & Your Wedding and Prima Baby from Hearst Magazines UK Posted on January 12, 2012
- Hearst Corporation completes the acquisition of the majority of Hachette China operations Posted onDecember 6, 2011
- Kaboodle to merge With StyleSpot Posted on October 3, 2011
- Hearst Magazines UK announces its senior team Posted on September 23, 2011
- Hearst Corporation completes UK portion of Lagardère Global Acquisition Posted on August 6, 2011
- Hearst completes U.S. portion and majority of its overall acquisition of Lagardere’s international magazine business Posted on June 1, 2011
- Lagardere and Hearst sign the share purchase agreement for the sale of Lagardere’s international magazine business Posted on March 29, 2011
- Negotiations for Hearst’s Acquisition of Lagardere’s International Press and Magazine Business confirmed Posted onJanuary 5, 2011
- Lagardère may sell its portfolio of international titles either Hearst Corp or Bauer Media Group Posted on December 21, 2010
- Hearst Corporation acquires iCrossing Posted on June 6, 2010
You must be logged in to post a comment.