Hearst Corporation has completed the UK portion of its international transaction with Lagardère SCA.
The deal unites National Magazine Company, Hearst Corporation’s principal UK business, and Hachette Filipacchi UK Ltd. The new organisation has been rebranded as Hearst Magazines UK.
With the acquisition of Hachette Filipacchi, Hearst Magazines UK has the UK publishing rights to global media superbrands ELLE and ELLE Decoration, along with Psychologies; and the ownership of Red, All About Soap, Inside Soap, Digital Spy and Sugarscape.
The combined business, comprising 26 magazines, 22 digital assets and other branded properties, will make Hearst Magazines UK one of the biggest media players in the country, reaching more than 16 million adults in print and 20 million monthly unique users online.
This UK deal forms part of Hearst Corporation’s acquisition of Lagardère’s international press and magazine business, which includes nearly 100 titles, 50 websites and numerous mobile and tablet applications in 14 markets including the U.S., Russia, Ukraine, Italy, Spain, U.K., Japan, The Netherlands, Hong Kong, Mexico, Taiwan, Canada, Germany and China (which will close later this year).
Arnaud de Puyfontaine, Chief Executive, Hearst Magazines UK, and Executive Vice President, Hearst Magazines International said: “This move consolidates our status as a leading UK media owner. NatMag and Hachette Filipacchi have built a stable of world-class brands,and this combined portfolio gives us a unique opportunity to develop and expand our commercial potential. We very much look forward to working with our new colleagues on this exciting venture.”
- Hearst completes U.S. portion and majority of its overall acquisition of Lagardere’s international magazine business Posted on June 1, 2011
- Lagardere and Hearst sign the share purchase agreement for the sale of Lagardere’s international magazine business Posted on March 29, 2011
- Negotiations for Hearst’s Acquisition of Lagardere’s International Press and Magazine Business confirmed Posted onJanuary 5, 2011
- Lagardère may sell its portfolio of international titles either Hearst Corp or Bauer Media Group Posted on December 21, 2010
- Hearst Corporation acquires iCrossing Posted onJune 6, 2010