ITV plc is to acquire a controlling interest in Leftfield Entertainment Group from its founder and CEO Brent Montgomery. This acquisition, which has already gained regulatory approval, makes ITV Studios US Group the largest unscripted independent producer in the US and will be earnings enhancing from day one. Brent Montgomery will remain CEO of Leftfield Entertainment Group under ITV’s ownership.
Leftfield is a fast growing US independent producer of reality programmes who sold its first series in 2008. Leftfield also owns Sirens Media and has established two joint ventures – Loud Television and Outpost Entertainment. Together these businesses produce more than 300 hours of unscripted programming for over 30 US networks. The portfolio includes Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, American Restoration and Real Housewives of New Jersey.
ITV will make an initial cash payment of $360m for 80% of Leftfield, with further potential payments dependent upon Leftfield’s continued delivery of significant profit growth.
Leftfield Entertainment was formed in 2013 when Leftfield Pictures acquired Sirens Media. The company delivered $38m of EBITDA on a proforma basis in 2013 and ITV expects it to continue to deliver strong growth at a high margin into 2014 and beyond as the benefit of its acquisition of Sirens and its new joint ventures start to come through.
There are put and call options in place to buy the remaining 20% of Leftfield, under which a call can be exercised 3 years after the initial deal and a put and call at the end of year 5. The total maximum consideration for 100% of Leftfield is $800m, including the initial payment. This would only be paid if Leftfield delivers average EBITDA of at least $130m per annum between years 3 and 5.
Adam Crozier, Chief Executive of ITV plc, said, “Leftfield is a fantastic success story, rapidly growing from a single pilot to become one of the biggest indies in the US. The team has combined creativity with strong production expertise, with over 70% of the business coming from returning series and a pipeline of new ideas coming through in 2014 and into 2015 that is really encouraging. We are delighted that Brent and the team are joining ITV in what represents a significant addition to ITV Studios as we continue to build our global content business over the long term.”
UK, London & USA, New York, NY
- ITV acquires a controlling stake in DiGa Vision Posted on February 19, 2014
- ITV plc – half year results Posted on July 30, 2013
- ITV acquires Big Talk Posted on July 30, 2013
- ITV acquires US TV production company Thinkfactory Media Posted on June 19, 2013
- ITV acquires The Garden Posted on April 22, 2013
- ITV plc final results for the year ending December 31, 2012 Posted on March 1, 2013
- ITV acquires Finish Indie Tarinatalo Posted on October 16, 2012
- ITV plc sells Screenvision assets to Shamrock Capital for US $80m Posted on October 11, 2010
- ITV plc secures full ownership of GMTV Posted on November 26, 2009
You must be logged in to post a comment.