Berkery Noyes has released its first half 2012 mergers and acquisitions trend report for Private Equity in the Information Industry.
The report analyses merger and acquisition activity in the private equity market for the first half of 2012 and compares it with activity in the four previous six-month periods. It features transactions made by financially sponsored acquirers within the Information Industry, including purchases made by subsidiaries or platforms of private equity firms.
Berkery Noyes’ data showed that total volume increased two percent. Vista Equity Partners and Hellman & Friedman each had seven Information Industry transactions in first half 2012, making them the most acquisitive private equity firms by volume. Total value decreased eight percent, from $18.90 billion to $17.33 billion.
M&A activity in the Health and Pharmaceutics segment rose 62 percent and reemerged as the largest vertical market segment tracked in this report. One of the most active related buyers was TPG Capital, which acquired iMDsoft, DecisionView, and PharmARC Analytic Solutions. Lifestyle and Entertainment, previously the largest market segment, leveled off by 21 percent in first half 2012. This came in the aftermath of a 46 percent improvement in second half 2011.
Private equity M&A within the Software portion of the Information Industry remained flat throughout 2011 but increased 15 percent during the last six months. Three of the top ten overall Software deals in first half 2012 were backed by private equity firms. This consisted of Turaz’s announced merger with Misys for $2 billion, Apax Partners and JMI Equity’s announced acquisition of Paradigm for $1 billion, and GTCR’s announced acquisition of CAMP Systems International for $675 million. These deals together accounted for 21 percent of financially sponsored transaction value in the Information Industry.
“Large private equity firms keen on making acquisitions are likely to continue pursuing deal opportunities in the middle and lower middle market,” stated John Shea, Managing Partner at Berkery Noyes. “There are several factors contributing to this. First, they are finding that it currently takes longer in some instances to sell their portfolio companies, which can temporarily limit the amount of capital they have available to invest elsewhere. Second, they are facing heightened competition from strategic buyers, as was demonstrated by the bidding process for Quest Software between Insight Venture Partners and Dell.”
A copy of the FIRST HALF 2012 M&A REPORT FOR PRIVATE EQUITY IN THE INFORMATION INDUSTRY is available at the Berkery Noyes website – here.
- Berkery Noyes releases first half 2012 M&A Report for the Media and Marketing Industry posted on July 18, 2012
- Berkery Noyes releases 2011 year-end Financial Technology & Information Industry M&A Acquisitions Report Posted on January 18, 2012
- Berkery Noyes releases 2011 year-end Online & Mobile Industry M&A Report Posted on January 18, 2012
- UK private equity investment in the £10M-£10OM market grows by 44% Posted on January 18, 2012
- Berkery Noyes Releases 2011 Year End Online & Mobile Industry Mergers and Acquisitions Report posted on January 12, 2012
- Berkery Noyes releases 2011 Year End Media Trends Report Posted on January 10, 2012
- AdMedia’s Industry Survey – 2012 Mergers and Acquisitions Prospects for Media, Marketing Services and Related Technology Firms Posted on January 10, 2012
- mergermarket Q3 Monthly M&A Insider report Posted on November 2, 2011
- Berkery Noyes releases third quarter 2011 M&A Update for the Media & Marketing Industry Posted on October 26, 2011
- Quarterly analysis of UK-headquartered private equity control deals in the £10 million to £100 million segment Posted on October 5, 2011
- Half Year Mergers and Acquisitions Trends Report for Private Equity in the Information Industry Posted on August 1, 2011
- Half Year M&A Trends Report for the Financial Technology and Information Industry Posted on July 19, 2011
- Berkery Noyes releases its Half Year M&A Trends Report for the Online & Mobile Industry Posted on July 18, 2011
- Survey of Private Equity fund managers indicates improved optimism – Rothstein Kass’s Private Equity in 2011 report Posted on May 30, 2011
- Internet Advertising Revenues Hit $7.3 Billion in Q1 ’11 Highest First-Quarter Revenue Level on Record According to IAB and PwC Posted on May 30, 2011
- VC Funding in the solar sector off to a Strong Start With Q1 Coming in at $658 Million From Mercom Capital Group – April 12, 2011
- UK Buyout market registers strongest quarter in two years From Lyceum Capital and Cass Business School’s UK Growth Buyout Dashboard – April 8, 2011
- JEGI releases its Media and Information M&A report for Q1 2011 – From Jordan Edmiston Group’s Media and Information M&A report – April 1, 2011
- Investments in green companies and technologies globally now total more than $2 trillion – From Ethical Markets Media‘S The Green Transition Scoreboard – February 22, 2011
- Market Research Report – 2010 Private Equity in the Information Industry Merger & Acquisition Trends – Valuation Metrics up 53% from 2009 – From Berkery Noyes Private Equity in the Information Industry M&A Trends Report – February 4, 2011
- US entertainment and media M&A activity has outpaced the overall US deal market in 2010 – From PwC US – January 31, 2011
- US Financial Technology & Information Industry M&A trends report shows deal value has grown by 27% since 2009 – From Berkery Noyes 2010 Financial Technology & Information M&A Trends Report – January 19, 2011
- Research shows smaller buyouts bounce back in 2010 – From Lyceum Capital and Cass Business School’s UK Growth Buyout Dashboard – January 11, 2011
- US information industry M&A report shows deal value and volume Up 36% – From Berkery Noyes 2010 Information Market M&A Trends Report – January 7, 2011