Zynga has acquired Spooky Cool Labs, a Chicago based game studio focused on developing real-money online slot games. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Zynga’s chief revenue officer Barry Cottle said, “We have a legacy in social casino franchises with Zynga Poker, and we believe that free-to-play social casino games for the Web and on mobile have the potential to reach and connect a much broader audience,”
Joe Kaminkow, founder of Spooky Cool, said “When we founded Spooky Cool Labs, we used to dream that someday we would be so good that an innovative company, like Zynga, would notice. Today is that day. We are proud to now be a part of the Zynga team and are confident that we bring a particular excellence in game development to the social casino genre. We are excited about our games which are fun to play and that include leading licensed content that resonate with players worldwide.”
The Spooky Cool team will stay in Chicago and work with Zynga’s San Francisco-based social casino gaming team. Joe Kamikow will work with Zynga as part of the company’s social casino team. However, he will also continue to lead game design at Aristocrat Leisure Limited, a land-based slots manufacturer based in Australia.
Earlier this month Zynga announced substantial cost reductions, including reducing its workforce by approximately 520 employees or approximately 18% of its global workforce.
USA, San Francisco, CA & Chicago, IL
- Zynga acquires social game developer OMGPOP Posted on March 22, 2012
- Zynga’s IPO raises around $1 billion Posted on December 16, 2011
- Zynga acquires online games developer Area/Code Posted on January 25, 2011
- Zynga acquires Conduit Labs Posted on August 19, 2010
- Zynga acquires social game developer Unoh Posted on August 13, 2010
- Zynga acquires Beijing-based XPD Media Posted on May 21, 2010
- Zynga has agreed to acquire fellow social games developer Serious Business Posted on February 16, 2010
- Social game firm Zynga raises $180M from Russian investor DST Posted on December 16, 2009
- Social gaming company Zynga raises $15.18M Posted on November 17, 2009