News Corporation is to become a minority investor in MOBY Group, a media company headquartered in Dubai and active in Central Asia, principally Afghanistan, and the Middle East. Under the terms of the agreement, News Corporation will contribute its 50 percent shareholding in Broadcast Middle East, its Farsi-language TV joint venture with MOBY, for a minority shareholding in MOBY and will also provide growth capital to MOBY for its expansion plans. Broadcast Middle East will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of MOBY following the investment.
Through Broadcast Middle East, News Corporation and MOBY have launched two successful Farsi-language channels, FARSI1 and Zemzemeh, reaching millions of Farsi speaking audiences across Central Asia and the Middle East.
The agreement with News Corporation will enable MOBY to strengthen its leadership position across the regions in which it currently operates whilst working to expand its presence in new and emerging markets. MOBY will continue to be chaired by Saad Mohseni while Zaid Mohseni will continue to serve as Chief Executive Officer of BME.
News Corporation will provide strategic guidance and input via representation on the MOBY Board of Directors.
James Murdoch, Deputy Chief Operating Officer and Chairman and CEO, International, News Corporation said, “Merging our Farsi joint venture into MOBY allows us to expand our activities with what is surely one of the most dynamic and exciting media businesses in emerging markets anywhere. The Mohsenis are true pioneers and we are pleased to be able to invest alongside them in these challenging, yet very promising markets.”
Saad Mohseni, Chairman, MOBY Group said, “We are delighted to have in News Corporation both a partner with a long track record of growing entrepreneurial, innovative businesses and an investor that sees value in entering parts of the world which many media organizations have not traditionally looked to. Today’s agreement both recognizes the value we have created together in Broadcast Middle East and enables us to continue to grow MOBY for the future.”
UK, London & UAE, Dubai
- Shine Group acquires ChannelFlip Posted on January 9, 2012
- Specific Media has acquired Myspace from News Corporation Posted on June 30, 2011
- News Corporation pays A$45 million for Kidspot Posted on June 29, 2011
- News Corp completes the Shine Group acquisition Posted on April 5, 2011 — Fusion DigiNet
- News Corporation to acquire Shine Group Posted on February 21, 2011
- Photobucket and Ontela to merge Posted on January 21, 2011
- News Corp. sells Fox Mobile Group to Jesta Group Posted on December 23, 2010
- News Corp acquires Wireless Generation Posted on November 23, 2010
- News Corporation acquires Skiff and makes an investment in Journalism Online Posted on June 15, 2010
- News Corp. invests in Beyond Oblivion Posted on April 26, 2010
- News Corp. acquires games developer Irata Labs Posted on April 23, 2010
- News Corporation is considering the sale of Berlin based Jamba Posted on March 11, 2010
- News Corporation acquires a stake in Rotana Group Posted on February 23, 2010
- CME buys 90% stake of the Dow Jones Indexes business for $607.5 million Posted on February 12, 2010
- Lachlan Murdoch sells $28m News Corp stake Posted on November 30, 2009
- MySpace Buys ad supported music streamer Imeem Posted on November 19, 2009