Vice Media is a youth media company specialising in creating, distributing, and monetising original content globally. It was started in 1994 by Shane Smith, Gavin McInnes and Suroosh Alvi as a punk magazine titled Voice of Montreal.
Disney invested $200 million last month, when Vice announced a deal to launch the round-the-clock Viceland channel.
The $400 million invested by Disney gives it a roughly 9% stake of Vice at a valuation of between $4 billion and $4.5 billion. This is on top of the stake Disney holds through the joint venture with Hearst in A+E Networks, which now holds more than 15% of Vice.
21st Century Fox Inc. invested $70 million in Vice in August 2013.
USA, Burbank & Brooklyn, NY
- The Walt Disney Company completes Lucasfilm acquisition Posted on December 18, 2012
- Disney to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd Posted on October 31, 2012
- The Walt Disney Company acquires online parenting platform Babble Media Posted on November 19, 2011
- Disney acquires Rocket Pack Posted on March 4, 2011
- Disney acquires kids social online community site Togetherville Posted on February 24, 2011
- Disney acquires Tapulous, a developer of music games for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch Posted on July 2, 2010
- Disney Completes Marvel Acquisition Posted on January 1, 2010