Fusion Corporate Partners are pleased to announce our third deal of 2012. The sale of international grain trading conferences, Global Grain Geneva and Global Grain Asia to Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Global Grain Geneva is the world’s leading event for international grain traders. It has been held every November since 2003 in Geneva, the main European location for the trading of grain, oilseeds and soft commodities. The event has grown every year since its launch and in 2011 attracted nearly 1,000 delegates from over 50 countries. Euromoney is acquiring all the issued share capital of Global Commodities Group Sàrl whose sole asset is Global Grain Geneva.
Global Grain Asia is a new event for grain and oilseed trade and industry professionals operating in Asia-Pacific. It launches in March in Singapore. Euromoney is acquiring 50% of the issued share capital of GGA Pte. Ltd whose sole asset is Global Grain Asia. Euromoney has an option to acquire the remaining 50% of GGA Pte. Ltd in 2014.
The prospects for grain trading are good. Agricultural prices move over long cycles and prices today are under-pinned by a rising global population, greater affluence especially in Asia where meat consumption is growing rapidly (for instance, every pound of beef requires seven pounds of grain to produce), and less farmland: by the year 2020, the farmland available per person is forecast by the Food & Agricultural Organization of the United Nations to be less than half that of 1950.
Global Grain Geneva has been organized by James Dunsterville, a commodity trader in Geneva who also publishes the respected grain price newsletter AgriNews (www.agrinews.ch) and by Andrew Osborne, an event and conference specialist. Global Grain Asia was recently set up by G Seelan, Managing Director, and Ms Sarasija Raman, Executive Director, of the Centre for Management Technology (CMT) in Singapore, and Messrs. Dunsterville and Osborne. All four of them expect to remain involved in the business until at least 2014.
“We are delighted to acquire Global Grain Geneva and Global Grain Asia,” said Padraic Fallon, Chairman of Euromoney. “Euromoney has a successful record of acquiring conferences and developing them into fast-growing global event businesses. Coaltrans Conferences and Metal Bulletin Events are two striking examples and we look forward to doing the same with the Global Grain conferences.”
James Dunsterville and Andrew Osborne of Global Commodities Group said: “Having successfully built Global Grain Geneva into a must-attend conference for the grain trade market, and more recently launched Global Grain Asia with CMT, we believe that Euromoney is ideally positioned to develop further the conferences worldwide. We are confident that their successful track record in acquiring and developing commodity conferences will add tremendous value to the international grain trade community. We look forward to using our know-how and experience to help them achieve this vision.”
Paul Slight, Director at Fusion, said, “We were delighted to work with James, Andrew, Seelan and Sarasija. These are two great trading events and will be an excellent fit with Euromoney’s commodities events businesses. It is the third Fusion transaction in the commodities area and we expect to continue to be active in the sector for some time to come.”
UK, London & Switzerland, Geneva & Singapore
1. Media and Information Deals
- Fertilizer market information and analysis business Fertecon sold to Informa Group
- FMB Consultants sold to Argus Media
- www.Bit-Tech.net, the leading PC customisation online community and review site, sold to Dennis Publishing
- DMG Information sold Hobsons, its pan-European corporate recruitment print, web, event and market research operations, to Group GTI
- Hedgefund Intelligence, global B2B newsletter publishers and online data provider to the hedgefund sector, sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor
- www.digitalspy.co.uk the UK’s largest independent entertainment news website sold to Hachette Filipacchi UK
- www.CarDesignNews.com, a leading international B2B community website sold to Ultima Media
- MyHobbyStore.co.uk has acquired Model Collector and Stamp Magazine from IPC Media
- Trusted Reviews the UK’s premier electronic product review website sold to IPC Media
- Kable Ltd, the B2B online market intelligence provider and event organiser for the ICT sector sold to Guardian News & Media
- Petrolheads, the leading sports car enthusiast community and classified website, sold to Haymarket Publishing Group
- Visordown Ltd, owner of the leading UK motorcyclist community website www.visordown.com sold to Magicalia Ltd
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC sold Raven Fox Ltd, publisher of B2B journal Duty Free News to The Metroplolis Group
- Magicalia, the leading consumer special interest community website publisher, sold to Exponent Private Equity
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC sold Atalink Ltd, a specialist contract publisher, to Ten Alps PLC
- Global Professional Media Ltd, publisher of leading B2B weekly Legal Week, sold to Incisive Media PLC
2. Energy & Environmental services deals
- Energy specialist Utilyx sold to MITIE Group
- Utility Masters Limited sold to M&C Energy Group
- Encore International sold to M&C Energy Group
- John Hall Associates sold to EnergyQuote
- EIC sold to Broadfern
- Energy Information Centre sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC
- Carson Systems sold to Wellesley Information Services
- eLitigation business Legal Inc is acquired by Grant Thornton
- Zig Zag Holdings, the leading UK independent TV Producer of factual and factual entertainment shows, sold to Banijay Entertainment
- UKIP Media & Events sold its aviation exhibition division, incorporating Aircraft Interiors Expo, to Reed Exhibitions
- Telcap Ltd, a leading B2B events and publshing business, sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor Plc
You must be logged in to post a comment.