YouGov, a market research and data analytics group, has acquired SMG Insight Limited, a global sports research agency. During 2010, YouGov formed a strategic research partnership with SMG Insight to support the agency’s growth and the Company has since held a 20% stake in the business. YouGov is to acquire the remaining 80% stake.
SMG Insight specialises in media measurement and sponsorship evaluation in the sports sector. With operations in the UK, US, UAE, India and Australia, SMG Insight has developed a global network of industry contacts and sponsors including the ATP World Tour, Emirates and the Volvo Ocean Race.
The remaining 80% stake is being acquired from Frank Saez, the founder and Managing Director of SMG Insight, who will continue in his role leading the team of 55 employees.
As at 31 March 2018, SMG Insight had gross assets of £2.4 million and it generated £1.2 million PBT in the year to 31 March 2018. Cash consideration of £1 million is payable at completion, with a further £1 million payable in 12 months, in addition to deferred consideration reflecting a 4.25x multiple of EBITDA to be paid over a three year period. Total consideration is capped at £21 million.
Stephan Shakespeare, CEO of YouGov, commented: “For the SMG team, this represents a logical and exciting development as they see a strong partner of many years become a strong and committed parent. Frank and his team are leaders in the industry, and this deal represents another positive step in line with our guiding strategy: to align differentiated products and services in a single connected data system and generate new opportunities for growth.”
- YouGov acquires Galaxy Research in Australia Posted on December 11, 2017
- YouGov acquires Hong Kong based market research company Decision Fuel Posted on January 9, 2014