The acquisition is expected to be earnings enhancing for the financial year to September 30, 2015, the first year the event will be run under Euromoney’s ownership. However, due to the timing of the conference, the acquisition is expected to reduce Euromoney’s adjusted operating profits for the year to September 30, 2014 by approximately £1 million. The business achieved an adjusted EBITDA (before allocation of Summit central costs) of £6.2 million for the year to June 30, 2014, and the gross assets were £1.7 million at June 30, 2014, according to the division’s pro-forma management accounts. The transaction gives the group access to an extended international customer base of upstream and downstream commodity providers, traders, asset managers, alternative investors and African government ministries.
The principal asset being acquired is the leading investment forum and trade event for African mining, the Investing in African Mining Indaba. Set up 20 years ago, Mining Indaba is an annual professional conference dedicated to the investment in, and development of, mining interests in Africa. It is the world’s largest mining investment forum and Africa’s largest mining event. It takes place every February in Cape Town, South Africa, and attracts over 7000 of the most internationally-diversified and influential professionals in African mining. Senior Vice-President and Managing Director, Jonathan Moore, will join Euromoney and run the business from Euromoney’s New York office.
Euromoney already has a strong presence in the commodities markets and with investors, in particular through its Metal Bulletin and Institutional Investor brands. The acquisition provides Euromoney with an excellent opportunity to expand its position in these markets. The overlap with Euromoney’s existing portfolio of online publishing activities and investment conferences will allow Euromoney to develop and grow Mining Indaba as well as position it to capitalise on an upturn in the $1.2 trillion global metals and mining sector.
UK, London & USA, New York & South Africa, Cape Town
- Euromoney Institutional Investor acquires Infrastructure Journal for £12.5M October 15, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor completes acquisition of HSBC’s Quantitative Techniques operation Posted on October 2, 2013
- Euromoney revenues for the fourth quarter increase by 9% Posted on September 24, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor – interim management statement to July 24, 2013 Posted on July 26, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor – 6 months results to March 2013 Posted on May 16, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor acquires a majority stake in the Centre for Investor Education in Australia Posted on April 19, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor to acquire HSBC’s Quantitative Techniques operation Posted on April 4, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor acquires Insider Publishing Posted on March 19, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC interim management statement for 4 months to January 30, 2013 February 4, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC acquires Californian conference business TTI/Vanguard January 7, 2013
- Euromoney Institutional Investor Plc announces annual results Posted on November 15, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC – pre-close trading update Posted on September 25, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC – Interim Management Statement for the period from April 1 to July 24, 2012. Posted on July 26, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor – trading update – half year profits of not less than £47M Posted on April 17, 2012
- A Fusion Deal: International grain trading conferences, Global Grain Geneva and Global Grain Asia, sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor Posted on February 29, 2012
- Euromoney Institutional Investor to acquire Ned Davis Research Group for £69M Posted on June 21, 2011
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC acquires Arete Consulting Posted on August 13, 2010
- Euromoney sells EIC to Broadfern September 2007