Bauer Media has acquired the remaining 50% of the weekly title, OK!, from its joint venture partner, Northern and Shell.
As well as buying out the second half of OK! Australia, Bauer Media will now own 100% of the OK! magazine brand in Australia and New Zealand.
Matthew Stanton, Bauer Media CEO, said, “This investment in OK!, in Australia and New Zealand, once again demonstrates our commitment to the market and the long-term viability of this popular global brand. OK! is a key brand in our publishing portfolio and we look forward to taking the title to the next level, with further investment in a number of publishing initiatives across multi-platforms.”
Paul Ashford, Group Editorial Director Northern and Shell, said, “We are happy to have concluded an agreement that will allow Bauer Media to take OK! magazine forward in Australia where they now have a strong local operation, and we thank everyone who has worked to create OK!’s amazing Australian success story as part of the worldwide OK! family (currently reaching over 23 million readers across the globe).”
OK! was launched in Australia by Northern and Shell in 2004 with 50% of the title acquired by Bauer Media in 2007. The magazine’s circulation has fallen from 140,000 in 2007 to 90,000 in December 2012.
Two years ago Northern & Shell sold the US edition of OK! to American Media. Northern & Shell continues to own the UK edition of OK!
UK, London & Australia, Sydney
- Nine Entertainment Co. is to sell ACP Magazines Ltd to Bauer Media Group Posted on September 18, 2012
- Marquard Media sells the rights to Olivia magazine to Bauer Publishing Poland Posted on March 8, 2012
- Bauer Media Group acquires women’s monthlies “Olivia” and “Naj Magazyn Posted on February 18, 2012
- Bauer Media on the acquisition trail Posted on June 6, 2011
- More trades exit the race to buy the magazine division of BBC Worldwide Posted on April 7, 2011
- Bauer closes in on BBC Magazines as Future and Burda drop out Posted on March 31, 2011
- Northern & Shell to sell their magazine business Posted on March 17, 2011
- Lagardère may sell its portfolio of international titles to either Hearst Corp or Bauer Media Group Posted on December 21,