Elsevier has acquired Mendeley, a London-based company that operates a global research management and collaboration platform. Researchers use Mendeley’s desktop and cloud-based tools to manage and annotate documents, create citations and bibliographies, collaborate on research projects and network with fellow academics.
“Mendeley is an innovative company with great culture, talent and collaborative spirit, and we will keep it that way,” said Olivier Dumon, Managing Director of Academic and Government Research Markets at Elsevier. “Not only that, but together we intend to scale and evolve Mendeley in ways that benefit the entire research community. We will provide greater access to content, data, and analytics tools to Mendeley’s users and its flourishing third-party app ecosystem, all of which will enable us to increase both Elsevier’s and Mendeley’s engagement with researchers.”
Launched in late 2008, Mendeley was the brainchild of three PhD students wanting an easier way to manage their research papers and collaborate with colleagues overseas. They developed a desktop app that could automatically extract metadata and keywords from PDFs, thus turning loose collections of PDFs into structured, searchable research paper databases that were synchronized to the cloud.
From the start, they were thrilled by the idea that this crowd-sourced data would allow Mendeley to analyse research trends across academic disciplines in real time, show readership statistics for individual research papers, connect researchers with similar interests and generate research paper recommendations based on collaborative filtering.
The Netherlands, Amsterdam & UK, London
- Reed Elsevier reports growth in the 12 months to 31 December 2012 Posted on March 1, 2013
- Elsevier acquires Knovel, provider of web-based productivity application for the engineering community Posted on January 11, 2013
- Elsevier acquires Aureus Sciences Posted on January 11, 2013
- Elsevier Announces its Acquisition of the Journal of Choice Modelling Posted on December 17, 2012
- Reed Elsevier – results for the six months to 30 June 2012 Posted on July 30, 2012
- Reed Elsevier results for 2011 Posted on March 13, 2012
- Elsevier acquires The Ocular Surface Posted onJanuary 19, 2012
- Elsevier acquires QUOSA Posted on January 12, 2012
- Reed Elsevier to acquire Accuity Posted on September 28, 2011
- Elsevier acquires oncology journal portfolio From Cancer Information Group Posted on February 4, 2011
- Martini Media Network raises $6 million led by Reed Elsevier Ventures Posted on June 14, 2010