Demand Media, a digital media company, has acquired Denver-based Name.com, a domain name registrar. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Founded in 2003, Name.com customers have registered nearly 1.5 million domains, and use the company’s tools and services to grow their online presence. As the second largest registrar in the World, Demand Media’s eNom subsidiary has over 13.5 million domain names on its platform registered by over 8,800 resellers and partners.
“Name.com will provide a direct channel for us to reach consumers and small businesses as they develop and manage their online identities,” said Richard Rosenblatt, chairman and CEO, Demand Media. “This becomes even more valuable as over one thousand new domain extensions are expected to become available for registration in the years ahead.”
Demand Media will retain the Denver-based team and the business will report to Taryn Naidu, executive vice president, Registrar Services. “Our strategy is to provide an end-to-end solution for all things domains — whether you are looking to consume or distribute names and services,” said Naidu. “Name.com brings innovation, creativity and a deep commitment to their customers – factors which we believe are essential in the environment of new gTLDs.”
USA, Santa Monica, USA
- Demand Media reports third quarter 2011 financial results Posted on November 9, 2011
- Demand Media acquires CoveritLive Posted on March 3, 2011
- Demand for media IPOs growing – Demand Media and Nielsen shares soar above their IPO prices Posted on January 27, 2011
- Demand Media IPO – Details Posted on August 13, 2010
- Demand Media hires Goldman Sachs to explore IPO offering April 16, 2010