“Ning is the clear leader for creating custom social websites and communities. Acquiring Ning adds a natural extension to our social media platform, new distribution channels and a talented Silicon Valley team, all of which support our aim to connect brands with engaged, passionate audiences,” said Samir Arora, Chairman and CEO of Glam Media. “With the addition of Ning, Glam Media will truly become the first next generation media company in the post-social world.”
Ning will operate as a new business unit within Glam Media. Jason Rosenthal, Ning’s CEO, will join Glam as EVP Social Media & General Manager of Ning, and will be a member of the Glam Media executive team.
Additionally, Marc Andreessen will join Glam Media’s board of directors, joining the venture firm investors in Glam — Accel’s Thereisa Ranzetta and DFJ’s Tim Draper — as well as Co-Founder of Glam Media Fernando Ruarte, Dr Marcel Reichart from print media leader Hubert Burda Media, and Glam Media Founder & Chairman Samir Arora. Andreessen is a Silicon Valley pioneer who created Mosaic, the first web-browser and was the co-founder of Netscape Communications. In 2009, Andreessen created the venture capital firm, Andreessen Horowitz, with Ben Horowitz that invests in leading edge technology companies. He currently serves on the boards of Facebook, HP, eBay and other leading technology companies.
USA, Brisbane, CA
- Glam Media has acquired BabyWorld Posted on May 29, 2011
- Glam Media acquires BBS Media Posted on March 18, 2011
- Glam Media choosing bankers for an IPO Posted on February 24, 2011
- Glam Media acquires German men’s online media company Fantastic Zero Posted on September 10, 2010
- Glam Media to acquire AdPortal August 13, 2010
- Glam Media, Inc. has raised approximately $50 million in a private equity mezzanine funding February 3, 2010