Groupon has acquired SideTour, a marketplace that helps people discover, book and host local activities. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
SideTour events are intimate gatherings, averaging 12 attendees, and span food, drink, architecture, history, art and much more. SideTour currently offers more than 500 public and private events with more than 400 hosts using the platform. Hosts include chefs, artists, Olympic medalists, casting directors and sommeliers.
“The addition of SideTour’s curated local experiences furthers our vision of Groupon as the go-to place for consumers to find just about anything, anywhere, anytime,” said GrouponLive General Manager Greg Rudin. “By offering these highly personalized activities, tours and memorable things to do through Groupon, we can deliver even more fun ways for our customers to explore and discover the best local experiences.”
Founded in 2011, SideTour will continue to operate as a separate entity for some time, and Groupon will distribute their events to its active customers through its email, web and mobile channels.
USA, Chicago, IL
- Groupon acquires last-minute travel app Blink Posted on September 15, 2013
- Groupon acquires channel management provider CommerceInterface Posted on December 21, 2012
- Groupon acquires Breadcrumb Posted on May 30, 2012
- Groupon acquires Ditto.me. posted on April 17, 2012
- Groupon’s IPO – what the commentators say Posted on November 7, 2011
- Groupon files for a $750 million IPO Posted on June 3, 2011
- Groupon buys Pelago Posted on April 29, 2011
- Groupon completes a huge $950 million round of financing Posted on January 11, 2011
- Groupon rejects Google’s $6 billion offer Posted on December 7, 2010
- Has Google bought Groupon? Posted by Fusion DigiNet on November 30, 2010
- Groupon has acquired European competitor Citydeal Posted on May 18, 2010
- Groupon acquires mob.ly Posted on May 7, 2010
- Groupon raises more funds at a $1.2 million valuation Posted on April 18, 2010
- Groupon has raised a Series B financing round of $30 million December 2, 2009