McGraw-Hill Education is to acquire ALEKS Corporation, the privately held developer of the ALEKS® adaptive learning technology for the K-12 and higher education markets. The acquisition is McGraw-Hill Education’s first since it was acquired by funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, in March 2013. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed. The closing of the transaction is expected to occur early in the third quarter of 2013.
ALEKS uses research-based, artificial intelligence to rapidly and precisely determine each student’s knowledge state, pinpointing exactly what a student knows and doesn’t know. ALEKS then instructs students on the topics they’re most ready to learn, constantly updating each student’s knowledge state and adapting to the student’s individualized learning needs. McGraw-Hill Education has marketed and sold ALEKS for math in the higher education space for more than 10 years.
In January 2013, McGraw-Hill Education acquired an equity stake in Area9 Aps, the Denmark-based adaptive learning company. McGraw-Hill Education and Area9 have worked together to develop products such as the LearnSmart Advantage adaptive learning suite, which includes SmartBook, the world’s first-ever adaptive e-book.
“At McGraw-Hill Education, our number one focus is providing solutions that generate improved results for students, educators, and institutions, and we believe that delivering personalized experiences through adaptive technology is a key ingredient to teaching and learning success,” said Buzz Waterhouse, president and chief executive officer of McGraw-Hill Education. “Through our acquisition of ALEKS, we’re working to grow and further develop the type of engaging, personalized experiences that we see as a central element in the future of education.”
McGraw-Hill Education will continue to sell ALEKS as a standalone solution over the near term, but the company plans deeper integration between ALEKS and its content and digital platforms. As part of the acquisition, McGraw-Hill Education will maintain ALEKS Corporation’s current offices in Irvine, Calif.
USA, New York, NY & Irvine, CA
- McGraw-Hill completes the sale of McGraw-Hill Education to Apollo Posted on March 22, 2013
- McGraw-Hill Education to acquire a 20 percent equity stake in Area9 Aps Posted on January 24, 2013
- McGraw-Hill to Sell Education Business to Apollo for $2.5 Billion Posted on November 27, 2012
- The McGraw-Hill Companies reports record 2nd quarter Posted on July 30, 2012
- McGraw Hill to split into two public companies Posted on September 13, 2011
- Platts to acquire Steel Business Briefing Group Posted on June 30, 2011
- Platts completes acquisition of BENTEK Energy Posted on January 5, 2011
- Platts to acquire BENTEK Energy Posted on December 14, 2010
- Platts to acquire Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) Posted on December 9, 2010
- McGraw-Hill Education acquires Starting Out, provider of life-skills and workforce development reference resources Posted on November 7, 2010