McGraw-Hill Education’s equity investment in Area9 marks the culmination of a longstanding relationship between the two companies. Since 2007, McGraw-Hill Education and Area9 have worked together to develop products that deliver personalised learning experiences by using adaptive technology to continually assess students’ knowledge and skill levels and design study paths that bolster students’ understanding in the areas where they need to improve the most. By allowing students to focus their outside-of-class study time on the topics and concepts that are most challenging to them, McGraw-Hill Education’s adaptive solutions have been shown to help students study more efficiently, develop greater proficiency and earn better grades. As part of the agreement, McGraw-Hill Education and Area9 will work together to develop new adaptive learning products, both within and outside the higher education market.
“At McGraw-Hill Education, we have a passion for teaching and learning, and we believe that delivering personalized experiences through adaptive technology is a key ingredient to teaching and learning success,” said Brian Kibby, president of McGraw-Hill Higher Education. “Through our investment in Area9, we’re working to create more deeply integrated teaching and learning experiences that we see as a central element in the future of education.”
Founded in 2006 by Dr. Ulrik Juul Christensen, Area9 develops technologies that fix the gaps in helping people learn with the goal of finding a better way of delivering training and education. Area9’s roots trace back to the early 1990s, when at the Danish Institute for Medical Simulation Dr.Christensen began to see how adaptive technology could improve the inefficiencies in medical training. Through years of research and development, Dr. Christensen and Area9 realized that adaptive technologies could be developed to make learning more effective and efficient for students everywhere.
USA, New York, NY & Denmark, Copenhagen
- McGraw-Hill to Sell Education Business to Apollo for $2.5 Billion Posted on November 27, 2012
- The McGraw-Hill Companies reports record 2nd quarter Posted on July 30, 2012
- McGraw Hill to split into two public companies Posted on September 13, 2011
- Platts to acquire Steel Business Briefing Group Posted on June 30, 2011
- Platts completes acquisition of BENTEK Energy Posted on January 5, 2011
- Platts to acquire BENTEK Energy Posted on December 14, 2010
- Platts to acquire Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) Posted on December 9, 2010
- McGraw-Hill Education acquires Starting Out, provider of life-skills and workforce development reference resources Posted on November 7, 2010