Dice Holdings, a provider of specialised career websites has acquired Geeknet’s online media business, including Slashdot and SourceForge. Dice Holdings acquired the business for $20 million in cash. In 2011, the online media properties generated $20 million in Revenues.
“The acquisition of these premier technology sites fits squarely into our strategy of providing content and services that are important to tech professionals in their everyday work lives,” said Scot Melland, Chairman, President & CEO of Dice Holdings, Inc. “The SourceForge and Slashdot communities will enable our customers to reach millions of engaged tech professionals on a regular basis and significantly extends our company’s reach into the global tech community.”
The sites include:
- Slashdot, a user-generated news, analysis, peer question and professional insight community. Tech professionals moderate the site which averages more than 5,300 comments daily and 3.7 million unique visitors each month.
- SourceForge, a destination for technology professionals and enthusiasts to develop, download, review and publish open source software, much of which they use in their own organizations. Approximately 80 percent of its roughly 40 million monthly unique visitors are outside the U.S.
- Freecode, one of the largest indexes of Linux, Unix and cross-platform software, as well as mobile applications generates nearly 500,000 unique visitors each month.
USA, New York, NY & Canada, Fairfax, VA
- Dice Holdings acquires Rigzone Posted on August 13, 2010
- Dice Holdings acquires online and career events business WorldwideWorker Posted on May 11, 2010