The Broadcasting Group includes ABC affiliates in Denver, Colorado (KMGH-TV), San Diego, California (KGTV), Bakersfield, California (KERO-TV), Indianapolis, Indiana (WRTV) and Azteca America affiliates in Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs,San Diego and Bakersfield. The five other stations involved in the transaction – KZSD in San Diego, KZKC in Bakersfield, KZCO in Denver, KZFC in Ft.Collins, Colo., and KZCS in Colorado Springs, Colo. – are low-power stations affiliated with the Spanish-language network, Azteca America.
The nine McGraw-Hill stations, which reach approximately 3 percent of U.S. households and generated revenue in 2010 of $97 million, have roughly 460 total employees.
“This is a terrific opportunity to enter some of America’s most dynamic media markets and tap into the growing Spanish-language marketplace at a very attractive price,” said Rich Boehne, Scripps president and chief executive officer. “The McGraw-Hill stations fit well with our strategy to create economic value through high-quality news and information content that serves both consumers and advertisers through linear television and the exploding array of digital communication devices.
“These stations came up for sale at a good time for Scripps,” Boehne said. “The deal is structured and financed in ways to protect the company’s financial flexibility and our ability to continue investing in emerging media business models. Through this acquisition, we now have the opportunity to extend our local news strategies into markets with big appetites for community-changing journalism.”
The acquisition of the McGraw-Hill stations will extend the Scripps relationship with ABC. With 10 ABC affiliates among its expanded roster of 19 stations, Scripps will be the country’s largest independent operator of ABC stations. The new stations join a Scripps portfolio that includes six ABC affiliates (in Detroit, Tampa, Fla., Cleveland, Phoenix, Cincinnati, and Baltimore), three NBC affiliates (West Palm Beach, Fla., Kansas City, Mo., and Tulsa, Okla.) and one independent (Lawrence, Kan.). The consolidated station group will reach approximately 13 percent of U.S. households.
Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC acted as financial advisor to McGraw-Hill in the transaction.
USA, Cincinnati, OH & New York, NY
- Scripps Networks Interactive and Virgin Media complete UKTV Transaction Posted on October 3, 2011
- BSkyB acquires Virgin Media Television Posted on June 6, 2010
- Iconix Brand Group acquires “Peanuts” Posted on April 27, 2010
- Scripps sells uSwitch to Forward Internet Group – updated Posted on March 2, 2010
- Scripps Networks Interactive acquires 69% of NDTV Lifestyle Posted on November 19, 2009
- McGraw Hill to split into two public companies Posted on September 13, 2011
- Platts to acquire Steel Business Briefing Group Posted on June 30, 2011
- Platts completes acquisition of BENTEK Energy Posted on January 5, 2011
- Platts to acquire BENTEK Energy Posted on December 14, 2010
- Platts to acquire Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) Posted on December 9, 2010
- McGraw-Hill Education acquires Starting Out, provider of life-skills and workforce development reference resources Posted on November 7, 2010
You must be logged in to post a comment.