1. Gadget review site gdgt has raised $3.165
- Details: According to The Wall Street Journal, gadget review site gdgt has raised $3.165 million. gdgt had raised $550,000 in seed funding from Betaworks and True Ventures last year.
- Investors: Led by Spark Capital and True Ventures. Betaworks, AOL Ventures, Lerer Media Ventures and a number of individual investors also participated.
- Contacts: Peter Rojas, founder: Ryan Block, founder
- Location: USA, New York, NY
- Categories: Consumer website, Reviews
- Link: The Wall Street Journal
2. Quora closes a Series A round
- Details: Quora, a startup building a continually improving collection of questions and answers, has closed a Series A round of financing. Matt Cohler, general partner at Benchmark, will join the company’s board. TechCrunch reports that it was an $11 million round that valued the company at $86 million.
- Investors: Benchmark Capital
- Contacts: Adam D’Angelo, CEO: Matt Cohler, general partner at Benchmark
- Location: USA, Palo Alto, CA
- Categories: Consumer website
- Link: Press Release
3. Stitcher raises $6 million
- Details: Stitcher, a service that allows users to customize talk radio programming on their mobile devices, has raised $6 million in a Series B round of financing. The funding will be used to further Stitcher’s product and platform development. Bob Kagleof Benchmark Capital will join Stitcher’s board of directors.
- Investors: Led by Benchmark Capital, with participation from previous investor New Atlantic Ventures and tech veterans including Ed Scott and Ron Conway
- Contacts: Noah Shanok, CEO of Stitcher: Bob Kagle, general partner at Benchmark Capital
- Location: USA, San Francisco, CA
- Categories: Radio
- Details: Tencent Holdings Limited, a leading provider of Internet and mobile & telecommunications value-added services in China, is to invest approximately US$300 million in Russian investment group Digital Sky Technologies (DST). DST’s hold stakes in Facebook and Zynga. The aggregate consideration of approximately US$300 million, which will be paid in cash, gives Tencent approximately a 10.26% economic interest in DST upon completion of the transaction. Tencent will hold approximately 0.51% of the total voting power of DST and have the right to nominate one observer to the DST Board.
- Contact: Chief Executive Officer of DST, Mr. Yuri Milner, President of Tencent, Mr. Martin Lau
- Location: Hong Kong and Moscow
- Categories: Investment Group
- Link: Press Release
5. UMJ Russia Fund invests $3 million in Game Network
- Details: United Managers Japan Incorporated Russia Fund has acquired 30% of Game Network, owner of three Russian television channel for gamers, Gameland TV. The channel is going to distribute Japanese anime and manga content to the Russian audience.
- Contacts: Chairman UMJ Russia Fund, Makoto Takahashi: CEO UMJ Russia Fund, Masahiro Koshiba
- Location: Moscow
- Categories: Television, Online Games
Contact us at email@example.com or visit the Fusion Corporate Partners website