Yesterday a leaked a slide from an internal Yahoo slide show suggested that Yahoo! is closing or merging Del.icio.us, Upcoming, Fire Eagle, MyBlogLog, and more.
Yahoo have now announced that they are thinking of selling Delicious.
The full announcement is below:
What’s Next for Delicious?
Many of you have read the news stories about Delicious that began appearing yesterday. We’re genuinely sorry to have these stories appear with so little context for our loyal users. While we can’t answer each of your questions individually, we wanted to address what we can at this stage and we promise to keep you posted as future plans get finalized.
Is Delicious being shut down? And should I be worried about my data?
– No, we are not shutting down Delicious. While we have determined that there is not a strategic fit at Yahoo!, we believe there is a ideal home for Delicious outside of the company where it can be resourced to the level where it can be competitive.
What is Yahoo! going to do with Delicious?
– We’re actively thinking about the future of Delicious and we believe there is a home outside the company that would make more sense for the service and our users. We’re in the process of exploring a variety of options and talking to companies right now. And we’ll share our plans with you as soon as we can.
What if I want to get my bookmarks out of Delicious right away?
– As noted above, there’s no reason to panic. We are maintaining Delicious and encourage you to keep using it. That said, we have export options if you so choose. Additionally, many services provide the ability to import Delicious links and tags.
We can only imagine how upsetting the news coverage over the past 24 hours has been to many of you. Speaking for our team, we were very disappointed by the way that this appeared in the press. We’ll let you know more as things develop.
USA, Sunnyvale, CA
- AOL exploring a breakup of the company and merger with Yahoo Posted on December 7, 2010
- Yahoo! buys Koprol Posted on May 25, 2010
- Yahoo! to acquire Associated Content Posted on May 19, 2010
- Yahoo! to acquire Citizen Sports Posted on March 17, 2010
- Monster Worldwide acquires the assets of Yahoo! HotJobs for $225 million Posted on February 4, 2010
- The Yahoo!/Maktoob acquisition deal has officially closed Posted on November 12, 2009