Fusion Corporate Partners are pleased to announce our latest deal. Platts, a McGraw-Hill division and leading global provider of energy, petrochemicals and metals information, has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Kingsman SA, a privately-held, Switzerland-based provider of price information and analytics for the global sugar and biofuels markets. Paul Slight, Director at Fusion acted exclusively for the vendors.
The acquisition, whose purchase price was not disclosed, is expected to close on November 1, subject to customary closing conditions.
“McGraw-Hill is pleased to add Kingsman to our wonderful stable of world-class businesses,” said Harold McGraw III, chairman, president and chief executive officer for The McGraw-Hill Companies. “As we move to separate our education company from our financial and commodities intelligence businesses at the end of the year, this acquisition strengthens our leading position as providers of essential intelligence in the capital and commodity markets.”
“Kingsman is widely recognized as the leading global brand for sugar market data and analytics,” said Larry Neal, president of Platts. “Our acquisition of Kingsman deepens Platts’ capabilities in biofuels and gives us a springboard for growth in the global agricultural markets. It also reinforces our commitment to becoming a leader in market analytics as well as news and price information.”
Neal noted that agriculture is a large, complex global commodity market similar to other markets that Platts serves. “It requires the level of pricing expertise that Platts can uniquely offer,” he said, “and, with its broad range of sub-sectors, it presents multiple opportunities for Platts to develop benchmarks that support market evolution and enhance price transparency.”
Founded in 1990 and based in Lausanne, Kingsman employs analysts, researchers and report writers in key markets including London, Montreal, New Delhi and Sao Paulo. It serves a global clientele of producers, traders, refiners, financial institutions and end-users, offering a variety of subscription publications covering sugar, ethanol and biodiesel.
With its prime focus on market analysis, supply and demand fundamentals and trade flows, Kingsman complements Platts’ long-standing expertise in reporting news, assessing prices and explaining the factors driving those prices.
“This is a great move for Kingsman. We will benefit from the strong market position Platts enjoys across a wide range of commodities, the broad operational footprint it has around the world, and its cohesive global sales force. These strengths will enable Kingsman to better serve customers and more quickly expand its business globally,” said Jonathan Kingsman, the company’s founder.
“Most notably,” he added, “Platts’ technology capabilities will enable Kingsman to provide new market data services and expanded web offerings.”
Platts and Kingsman provide complementary biofuels services covering Asia, Europe and the Americas. Platts has covered the biofuels market for many years with news and prices featured in its oil and petrochemicals information services.
Recently, Platts launched a portfolio of dedicated biofuels information products, including a newsletter, a real-time alert and market data package.
Kingsman, whose business originally focused on the sugar markets, moved into the adjacent ethanol and biodiesel sectors as alternative green fuels were developed in the early 2000s. It currently offers a range of daily, weekly and monthly reports covering ethanol and biodiesel as well as sugar.
USA, New York, NY & Switzerland, Lusanne
- The McGraw-Hill Companies reports record 2nd quarter Posted on July 30, 2012
- McGraw Hill to split into two public companies Posted on September 13, 2011
- Platts to acquire Steel Business Briefing Group Posted on June 30, 2011
- Platts completes acquisition of BENTEK Energy Posted on January 5, 2011
- Platts to acquire BENTEK Energy Posted on December 14, 2010
- Platts to acquire Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) Posted on December 9, 2010
- McGraw-Hill Education acquires Starting Out, provider of life-skills and workforce development reference resources Posted on November 7, 2010
OTHER FUSION DEALS:
Media and Information
- International grain trading conferences, Global Grain Geneva and Global Grain Asia, sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor
- Fertilizer market information and analysis business Fertecon sold to Informa Group
- A Fusion Deal: FMB Consultants sold to Argus Media
- Econsultancy sold to Centaur Posted on July 10, 2012
- www.Bit-Tech.net, the leading PC customisation online community and review site, sold to Dennis Publishing
- DMG Information sold Hobsons, its pan-European corporate recruitment print, web, event and market research operations, to Group GTI
- Hedgefund Intelligence, global B2B newsletter publishers and online data provider to the hedgefund sector, sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor
- www.digitalspy.co.uk the UK’s largest independent entertainment news website sold to Hachette Filipacchi UK
- www.CarDesignNews.com, a leading international B2B community website sold to Ultima Media
- MyHobbyStore.co.uk has acquired Model Collector and Stamp Magazine from IPC Media
- Trusted Reviews the UK’s premier electronic product review website sold to IPC Media
- Kable Ltd, the B2B online market intelligence provider and event organiser for the ICT sector sold to Guardian News & Media
- Petrolheads, the leading sports car enthusiast community and classified website, sold to Haymarket Publishing Group
- Visordown Ltd, owner of the leading UK motorcyclist community website www.visordown.com sold to Magicalia Ltd
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC sold Raven Fox Ltd, publisher of B2B journal Duty Free News to The Metroplolis Group
- Magicalia, the leading consumer special interest community website publisher, sold to Exponent Private Equity
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC sold Atalink Ltd, a specialist contract publisher, to Ten Alps PLC
- Global Professional Media Ltd, publisher of leading B2B weekly Legal Week, sold to Incisive Media PLC
- Energy specialist Utilyx sold to MITIE Group
- Utility Masters Limited sold to M&C Energy Group
- Encore International sold to McKinnon & Clarke
- John Hall Associates, the leading supplier of Energy market intelligence and procurement services, sold to EnergyQuote
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC sold Energy Information Centre Ltd, an energy intelligence provider, to Broadfern Partners
- Carson Systems sold to Wellesley Information Services
- eLitigation business Legal Inc is acquired by Grant Thornton
- Zig Zag Holdings, the leading UK independent TV Producer of factual and factual entertainment shows, sold to Banijay Entertainment
- UKIP Media & Events sold its aviation exhibition division, incorporating Aircraft Interiors Expo, to Reed Exhibitions
- Telcap Ltd, a leading B2B events and publshing business, sold to Euromoney Institutional Investor Plc